Is everyday town driving bad for my truck? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:06 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is everyday town driving bad for my truck?

Hello all! First I must say at how happy and suprized I am with this truck, I installed a s&b intake with mini maxx wild tune today and it is amazing! Aside from that, I don't remember exactly where I read or heard it but I am curious if using my truck for a daily driver is bad. My typical everyday driving habitis include going to the gym in the morning which is about 10 miles from my house. Comming home and going to work which I do not drive this truck. When I get home I usualy drive my truck somewhere around town to get some dinner, this is Monday through Friday driving. I always feel like I am hurting my truck when going on these trips around town. Are these driving habits bad for my truck or am I just overthinking it and can I enjoy my truck as a daily driver? Also, I am curious why the MPG goes to 0 when at idle, does the truck get better MPG while driving when compared to at idle? Whats up with that? Thankyou!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Don't you worry about it

well you can't get "miles" per gallon if you arent driving any miles... kinda the same reason your speedometer says 0 when you are sitting still
Old 01-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokinpower View Post
well you can't get "miles" per gallon if you arent driving any miles... kinda the same reason your speedometer says 0 when you are sitting still
I know but it seems a little harder to gauge the mpg when it always drops when at idle. I am used to my mustang when the mpg would stay constant whether at idle or while driving. The way this truck is it seems like it sucks down gas when at idle when reading the gauge. On a trip it would be easier to figure the mpg but i was trying to monitor my city mpg and it was a little tough being as it kept dropping at idle and then would slowly get higher when starting to drive.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Don't you worry about it

My truck doesn't have an instant MPG readout only an avg so it fluctuates a lot right when you reset it but it settles down as you keep driving.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM
Don't you worry about it

anyway, that readout isn't accurate. Try setting up a fuelly account. I did and it's pretty cool.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
anyway, that readout isn't accurate. Try setting up a fuelly account. I did and it's pretty cool.
Well I went from 12 mpg to 18-19 mpg after the intake and tune according to the readout. Do you think I realy gained 5 mpg just from the intake and tune I installed redardlesss if the readout is inaccurate? Whats a fuelly account
Old 01-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Don't you worry about it

No I do not think you gained that much, I hardly gained anything. Go to fuelly.com and set you one up. You can do text updates so when you fill up you can text it your mileage, price per gallon and how many gallons you put in and it will keep track and calculate it all for you.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
No I do not think you gained that much, I hardly gained anything. Go to fuelly.com and set you one up. You can do text updates so when you fill up you can text it your mileage, price per gallon and how many gallons you put in and it will keep track and calculate it all for you.
YES I DID GAIN THAT MUCH!! LOL hopeful thinking! I will check out the fuelly site. thanks! Anyone know an answer for my other questions I really want to know
Old 01-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I am considering buying an 09 6.4 and milage is a consern of mine. Is the milage that poor? has anyone actually checked the milage by resetting the trip meter and filling the truck? Also what needs to be done to step up the milage.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The computer lies. That's y we call it the lie o meter. Ur truck will show 2 or 3 mpg more then what ur getting depending on truck.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.