New to the diesel game - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 06:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the diesel game

I just purchased an '08 f250 ccsb about a month ago. I was wondering what fluids and other maintenance products some of you are using as well as what type of schedules your on. Im also wondering where you think i should start with modding for a little more fuel economy and reliability. I was looking at the kem package that has a downpipe back exhaust, cold air intake, and h&s tuner with kem tunes. I was also doing a little reading on bypass oil filters. Thanks for any help guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 07:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Start by getting rid of the ford gold coolant and go with any cat-ec1 rated coolant. Purchase a 36mm socket for the oil and fuel filters. Do the fuel filters at 10k not 20k to be on the safe side.
Old 01-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What about oil? I've heard some people say avoid rotella and put in a good synthetic and others say the complete opposite. Intervals?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:45 AM

I'm also new to diesel, and I have been seeing alot about DPF and EGR delete. What does that do?
sorry for my ignorance.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmsgtr1 View Post
What about oil? I've heard some people say avoid rotella and put in a good synthetic and others say the complete opposite. Intervals?
Rotella t6 is a good synthetic oil. There are huge debates on this forum about oils. If your unsure just go with motorcraft.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Machine View Post
I'm also new to diesel, and I have been seeing alot about DPF and EGR delete. What does that do?
sorry for my ignorance.
The search button is a useful resource for questions like that. Take some time to learn how to navigate the site and u will learn more about your truck than u will ever want to know.

As far as dpf and egr delete, in a nutshell it's EPA required emissions equipment that the govt regulates in some states...if u delete them u will extend the life of ur psd tenfold. However you will need a good tuner on your truck to control the computer.

Welcome to the org!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-27-2012, 06:05 AM

I've used nothing but Rotella 15w-40 on my trucks for years, but this weekend I'm giving myself my first dose of synthetic with Amsoil. I don't think you can go wrong with either, but with the cold winter temps here I'm going to try it out and see what it does. It's expensive, but I've heard that it's worth it ... time will tell!
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What kind of oil change intervals are you guys using? I've heard of guys doing it at 3000, i know amsoil claims it can go to 25000, and i've heard just about everything in between. Since i bought the truck used i don't have a manual yet, but i've read online ford recommends 10000 under normal conditions and 5000 under special use.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:48 AM

A buddy of mine is a distributor for Amsoil and he swears by the stuff, that's why I'm switching over to their stuff tomorrow. He currently has 18k on his oil, which I'm sure most people will say is a horrible idea. He does an oil analysis about every 5k and they keep coming back as if the oil was brand new so he keeps going with it. I think he changed the filter at 10k however.

I wouldn't recommend using expensive synthetic oil though if you still have the DPF on your truck. The fuel dilution that comes along with the regen process demands a 5k max interval change. 4 gallons of Amsoil synthetic and their filter cost me $175 ... you don't want that price tag every 5k. It's just not worth it.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Depending on what my tax return looks like i may be getting rid of the dpf very soon. Is your buddy running a bypass filter kit or just running amsoil and the full flow filter? I'be been reading up on the bypass systems and they sound like a great idea, in theory.

Last edited by ddmsgtr1; 01-27-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.