Question for you 6.4 guys - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question for you 6.4 guys

First things first, I'm new here but not new to auto forums and I would like some honest answers to help me decide on what truck to buy.

I know misery loves company and please dont give me ear full of how great ford trucks are because you own one and so on. All vehicles have their drawbacks and their great features. Now I have grown up around Cummins and love their engines, now the truck thats wrapped around it is another story!! I have been looking to purchase a used Dodge for a month now and have not found anything that I really want. On a recent search I found (by accident) an 09 Ford F350 Crew Cab Lariat in my price range. My sisters father in law owned one before he traded it to get his 2011. I ran the truck a few times and loved it. He's a big construction guy so he had it loaded with Nav etc... I have found the same truck with 130k on it and was wondering how the new(er) 6.4 engines were doing after all the head stud problems that plauged the 6.0 I had a friend just do his head studs and gasket in his 6.0 last week and was appauled at the fact he had to lift the cab.

So please let me know what problems these trucks are prone to as getting a Dodge Mega cab does not look like it will happen anytime soon since eveyone thinks they're made of gold and diamonds or have been used to tow big weight their entire life.

Also if you could let me know what kind of MPG's you guys are getting and how you got them. I know you can do a EGR, and DPF, delete on the Cummins 6.7 is that possible with the 6.4 Fords and what all is needed to do, what kind of mpg will I be looking at.

Thanks in advance guys and sorry to be long winded but I hate to get these long drawn out stories of 28mpg and ford is the best because I own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 03:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Radiators were an issue on the 6.4 but were fixed in other production runs. However, the hoses that the radiators use are still kind of crappy/problematic so eventually, I'm sure you'll get a leak in your rad hose. MPGs will be an issue. These trucks are thirsty. However, since you're out of warranty, you won't have issues doing the deletes. I'd set aside a few thousand in order to get a tuner, exhaust, cold air intake, and EGR delete. You'll gain some MPGs as well as some extra ponies under the hood. You'll probably see a gain of a few MPGs depending on how you drive. However, like I said before, these trucks are thirsty even without going into regen. With the EGR delete, you'll get improved reliability. The nice thing about the DPF delete on the Ford is that the transmission is capable of handling the higher tunes comfortably as long as you aren't thrashing on the accelerator constantly. What I'm getting at is that it isn't immediately necessary to upgrade the transmission like you'd have to with the Dodge. The 6.4 also isn't the most user friendly to service. There's a lot going on under the hood compared to an I6. Other than that, I can't complain. I looked at the Ram 3500 crew/mega cab SRW with the short box and the F350, all the higher trim levels at both brands and liked the Ford better. The interior was a lot nicer than Dodge's and that was a huge factor. The exterior styling is also better looking in my opinion. Now, If I was looking at the new generation Fords and Rams, I think it would be a very difficult choice since the interiors are pretty much on par with each other and I like the new exterior styling of the Ram as well as the Ford's. But, comparing an '09 Ford to a pre 2010 or whenever Dodge did the redesign, I'd take a Ford.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you ALberta thats what I was looking for. I am looking at a 05-09 Dodge and your right their interiors are horrible, but I can get 20-22 MPG with a Manual and a tuner. I am not a heavy footed driver I got over that when I was younger and saving money on fuel is more my thing. I drive 55 miles to work and MPG is a big plus for me, plus we visit family around the country and go snowmobiling with a 21' enclosed trailer so I do some light towing. Not to mention I am in the Military so I move every few years and the higher MPG's would help. I love the interior of the 08-10 fords since the family is with me on big trips comfort is a big plus.

Looking at pics of trucks around the country it looks like they're all averaging 11 MPG and thats not a good thing, but I dont know how or where they were driving so I guess I'll just have to drive a few to see. Is the head stud's and gasket's a problem with these trucks?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:24 PM

I did the mods on my truck 1 week ago. I am running the wild tune and am getting almost 17mpg. I do not do much city driving as I live in the county and the speed limits are between 40-50 mph. I was getting close to 14mpg before the mods. I know I will get even better mileage once I get over the excitement of all the new hp.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

how hard/how long does the deletes take?? I know that engine is stuffed in there and there is not nearly as much room as the dodge wich takes about a full day to do. Also do you have to have a tuner if you do the deletes?
Old 01-26-2012, 03:31 PM

If you're doing a lot of highway driving, which it sounds like you are with a 55 mile commute to work, I think you'll be ok especially, once you're deleted. Combine that with your lack of jack rabbit starts, launching from red lights, gunning it and blowing smoke at people driving Prius' and you'll definitely be ok and get decent mileage. Head gasket issues with the 6.4 seem to be pretty rare. There aren't many people getting head studs when they get their trucks tuned and they're running the higher tunes as a daily driver. Once they start maxing out the truck's capabilities is when they seem to be getting studs. These trucks will support the higher tunes but after that, they're out of fuel and air so they need those mods which naturally, will require head studs. However, running a 250 tune, doesn't seem like most people are getting head studs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trueblue NYR View Post
Also do you have to have a tuner if you do the deletes?
Yes. Otherwise, you'll be in limp mode if the truck will even start..
Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok, so it sounds like a tune is a must but how much and how long? I can work on just about anything but am way behind in the Diesel world but I would try it myself. Nice part is income taxes will be in next week so money wont be a problem for the tune kit.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:48 PM

The exhaust is probably the most time consuming. The cold air intake will take 30-45 minutes, installing the tuner about an hour or hour and a half, and the exhaust, is about a 4 hour job depending on how easily it wants to come out. Keep in mind, this is for a full downpipe back exhaust. You can buy just the DPF delete pipe instead of a complete exhaust. It's a good half day job to get it all done. The EGR delete can easily be a day or weekend job.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If you are used to dodges like i was, youll HATE the mileage, you are gonna lose 5 mpg x 35 gallons = 175 miles per tank. I get 16 mpg on the highway in my ford with programmer, intake and dpf delete.... and youll get closer to 20-22 with 05' dodge (used to own one). But the main reason i got a ford is for the interior. just go into it knowing your not gonna get the same mileage and expect that 100%. Before you do all the mods dont be shocked if you avg 12 mpg w/ ford. thats what i got before mods. If you dont mind the fuel bill go with a ford. but if you HAVE to get better mileage need to stick with a dodge.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I really want a Mega Cab w the 6 speed manual, but one look at the ford truck and I fall in love, until I see the engine bay and avg MPG. God I just dont know, I dont do a lot of towing but do about 20-25k miles a year. I actually just looked at my oil change sticker from the last time I had it done. It says 116xxx on Feb 1st of last year, so I looked down and i'm at 136xxx a few days from the first. Before you ask yes I've done the oil since then but it was too cold and too much snow last year and I didnt want to lay on the ground then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.