Changing Diff Cover and Fluid. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Changing Diff Cover and Fluid.

So I just rolled 100k On the truck last week and decided that I should change my diff fluid out once again (did it at 40k). In the process I am tired of taking the damn cover on and off so I am replacing the stock cover with a mag hytec. The questions is do you think I am fine to change the fluid if I havent changed it in 60k? Guy at a local show was trying to tell me not to do it. I think he is an idiot but still figured I would ask. Also what fluid are you guys using in the rear diff? I put ford fluid in it last time, but I would like to put a royal purple, or amsoil in it this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 06:40 AM

My buddy just swapped all his fluids to amsoil and loves it. Not sure I'm convinced you can really tell a difference but he swears by their products and from the research I've done they seem to be good. I actually have 4 gallons of their full synthetic 5w-40 oil out for delivery today. Expensive stuff but thought I'd give it a try and see how it goes. I may slowly make the full switch as well eventually.

I also don't see any reason why you couldn't change it yourself. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than myself will be along with a better info for you!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:12 AM

Why in the hell would he say not to change it? Dont listen to him, change it out just make sure, as you already know, dont forget the friction modifier in the rear diff. And post up pics!!! I've been looking alot in the last week at the Mag units for the front and rear diff... I'd love to see it installed!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 AM

I got it changed out. The fluid in the rear diff was clean as could be. I put royal purple 75-140 in it. Took 6 qrts with the new pan. I asked the guy at napa about the friction modifier because I have always had to add it. He said that the royal purple doesnt need the friction modifier because it has it in it already. true? It looks great. I will get some pics taken later today and post up.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:31 AM

Here is a pic of the cover installed. Looks pretty good to me.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcloud2k View Post
I got it changed out. The fluid in the rear diff was clean as could be. I put royal purple 75-140 in it. Took 6 qrts with the new pan. I asked the guy at napa about the friction modifier because I have always had to add it. He said that the royal purple doesnt need the friction modifier because it has it in it already. true? It looks great. I will get some pics taken later today and post up.

Cover looks good! They are worth the upgrade....put it on my list
Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 AM

That cover looks great! Servicing is going to be 10x easier now. Fitment/quality was good? I've never had any first hand expirence with Mag's stuff.
Old 01-27-2012, 04:59 AM

Did you have to remove the sway bar during the installation? Did you do one for the front?
Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Yes fit and finish of Mag hytec products is GREAT! Ive always had one of there tranny pans on my trucks. This is the first diff cover I have ever gotten. You do not have to remove the sway bar to get it in. You can rotate it in from the top. The covers do not need any rtv sealant because they have a gasket built in so that was a HUGE plus. There is a dip stick in the top of the cover you can pull out to check fuild quality and level. Drain plug in the bottom, and peep hole screw you can take out of the middle to check fluid level as well. I did not do a front cover yet, it is on the list but they were back ordered when I ordered the rear. Anyone thinking about doing it, do it. Over all the swap took me about 40 min. Quick, easy, and will make fluid changes down the line easier.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:25 AM

Did your truck have the factory finned cover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.