Towing a big toy hauler w/ a tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing a big toy hauler w/ a tune

So we bought our '08 F-450 to haul a 5th wheel toy hauler. Well its time to actually put it to use here shortly.
What are some of the issues those that have hauled loads have ran into.
Currently running the H&S Hot Damn tune will I have troubles down the line if I only tow in the lowest 'no power' tune? (we know that this IS more than stock) I would like to hear stories of those that have towed loads like this with their trucks.
Will I need airbags? (tongue weight is about 3000 pounds)
How do I set/ adjust the break controller?
Do you run different air pressure in your tires while loaded?
What mileage can I expect under load within the given speed limits.
Those that have towed what have you added to your truck to help make your trips safer or better?
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 07:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I run a mini with HD 300/SL1 and run anywhere from wild to stock depending on the weight and tarrain that Im towing in. I've run with about 17k behind me on bumper pulls and have never had a problem. Air bags would be good with that much weight. Along with a set of traction bars under there to keep the axle wrap down. I run with the break controller on 10 when that heavy and tow/haul is a must. I run 90-100 psi all the time in my tires. as for mileage probably between 8-11mpg. Other then that just them 450's do what she is ment to do.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS450 View Post
I run a mini with HD 300/SL1 and run anywhere from wild to stock depending on the weight and tarrain that Im towing in. I've run with about 17k behind me on bumper pulls and have never had a problem. Air bags would be good with that much weight. Along with a set of traction bars under there to keep the axle wrap down. I run with the break controller on 10 when that heavy and tow/haul is a must. I run 90-100 psi all the time in my tires. as for mileage probably between 8-11mpg. Other then that just them 450's do what she is ment to do.

I pull a 15k 5'ver with my 350. Do you like the SL1 shift schedule? I have 4:10s.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 PM

I pull a big toyhauler fiver as well (3200lbs of pin weight dry according the manufacture). I use a DRW f-350 with the tow boss package (4:30 gears and a rear sway bar). I can't speak to what tuning you should run as I use a Spartan (I usually run their 210 tow performance tune). I run 60 PSI in the rears just like the door sticker says (remember I've got 17 inch f-350 wheels, not the 19.5 inch one the 450 come with) and never had any issues and the tires are wearing fine. I pulled with stock rear suspension for probably 5k miles or so with no issues other than the truck was very slightly lower in the back (the factory contact overload springs were in use with trailer hooked up and my truck is a 4X4 that sits pretty level unloaded with all stock suspension). I have since put a set of firestone airbags on the back which allow me to push the rear end back up off the contact overload springs. So now the truck sits perfectly level. And I have since put about another 5k miles on it with the airbags. No real change in towing characteristics or safety as far as I can tell and the ride seems rougher now (same trailer, going over the same roads). I would do a least a few trips before putting on the airbags (you sure as hell aren't going to overload that f-450) and see how it does and if the truck sits level or low in the rear.
As for trailer brake controller setting, that’s mostly driver preference and will change based off how good the trailers brakes are. I usually run mine on 6 which is comfortable for my setup (three axel toyhauler with brakes on all three axels).
Fuel mileage, don't be expecting much, I usually run around 10 mpg on flat land and it gets worse if the throw some hills in the mix (although it tows like a beast uphill, it just sucks down the fuel while doing it).

On another note, how are you even able to get an 8 inch lifted truck under your toyhauler, did you lift it too?
Old 01-24-2012, 09:28 PM

Antonms the reason your ride seams ruffer with the air bags is that you have unloaded the overloads and are bouncing off of them. I would look at either taking them off or getting some longer bump stops.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertS450 View Post
Antonms the reason your ride seams ruffer with the air bags is that you have unloaded the overloads and are bouncing off of them. I would look at either taking them off or getting some longer bump stops.
I hadn't considered that but it makes sense. My airbags are rated at 5000 pounds, so taking off the overloads wouldn't really lower my load carrying capacity. The only thing that would concern me would be the possibility of getting out somewhere a thousand miles from home and getting a leak in the airbag lines. Without the overloads, I would be stranded with the axel stuffed up into the wheels wells. My camper store sells bump stop extensions that make the contact overloads always in-contact, but wouldn't those make the unloaded ride knock your teeth out??
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 PM

Not to sure on that as I have not done that mod yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.