Trading duramax for 6.4? Help please! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trading duramax for 6.4? Help please!

So, I have a 2003 Lb7 Duramax with 135k miles, and went and test drove a 6.4 today with 141k miles and they want $18,750. How is the price? Also, it seemed very nice, very refined even for the miles especially compared to my duramax. Very powerful for stock motor, very responsive to my somewhat laggy stock duramax. I understand there is 5 years in technology difference but still, wow very impressive. Now, i know all about what issues they have had mainly due to dpf/egr, whatever. I definitely will be making this vehicle "offroad use only" so therefore those shouldn't be a problem. Would the choice be wise or should I stick with my Duramax? I will be expecting pretty biased opinions lol but try to refrain if you can! Haha, thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have the ford dealer ship run a oasis report on it. Check for any leaks at all under the truck. The price is not bad at all. With those miles if something was going to go wrong it would have by now. I would trade the dirty max off for it. Then get H&S or spartan tuner, egr/dpf delete, CAI S&B or AFE, and a 5" straight pipe and you will be very happy and doing the deletes will help with the life of the truck
Old 01-21-2012, 08:12 PM

Judging from the luck my dad and brother have had on there duramaxs I would keep the duramax. my brothers 2003 has 490,000 km on it and been in the shop once for a sensor. I personally like the 6.4 way better and I have had good luck with mine lots of trouble free miles on it. I would be worried about buying one with that high miles on due to the fact that I dont know how the previous owner took care of it and if they kept the maintenance up to date on it....just my honest opinion
Old 01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

wouldn't be a

Wouldn't be a crankshaft position sensor would it? lol, I have got that once, never came back. I like the straight axle, the crew cab over my extended cab, miles are pretty close to the same, not sure how long the powerstroke lasts compared to the duramax in longetivity. Supposedly the guy traded it in because he no longer needed the power of the diesel and instead traded it for a buick enclave for him and his wife. I have no problems with my duramax, but I really really like the refinement of the 6.4 and the lack of clatter I hear inside the cab, i'd rather hear music and my exhaust note. That's just pickiness though I guess.

It does have a scratch that is pretty good size, and one of the running boards is broke, otherwise interior is clean as can be. How do they pull? I pulled a camper and a trailer, I honestly thought my 2v triton v10 could pull better with my truck on stock tune. Anyone know how it would perform pulling vs's the Lb7?

Thanks for the positive answers guys! It really shapes my decision as I, no offense haven't heard the best reviews about ford diesels, been doing my homework lately and turns out the 6.4s can be very good.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:21 PM
bye bye 6.4L

i have a cold air intake for you with two filters if you want it
Old 01-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

?

What are you wanting for it, I guess I will find out monday if I get it. Then I could go from there.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
Judging from the luck my dad and brother have had on there duramaxs I would keep the duramax. my brothers 2003 has 490,000 km on it and been in the shop once for a sensor. I personally like the 6.4 way better and I have had good luck with mine lots of trouble free miles on it. I would be worried about buying one with that high miles on due to the fact that I dont know how the previous owner took care of it and if they kept the maintenance up to date on it....just my honest opinion
I had an 06 duramax and it gave up at 125k miles I had bad luck with it. Sometimes you get a lemon its always a shot in the dark. I would buy with less miles myself but that's just me. Just maintaine it properly
Old 01-22-2012, 06:43 AM

Like i said before do a oasis report on it. Ford can run that for you. Do a carfax on it to and see what comes up. If the dealership would have them pull the fuel filters out so you can see them and replace them. I bought my truck with 140k on it and only problem i have had is the belt tensenior went out.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 AM
bye bye 6.4L

150 plus shipping? let me know if ya get the old girl!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 AM
bye bye 6.4L

Ohhh and my 6.4 was a freaking tank, i ran it though its paces for 30k of original version spartan tunes and it never ever let me down once!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.