Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

How do you get EGR valve, off the elbow?

10K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  thecaptin 
#1 ·
Hi all had my 2008 f450 6.4 for 3 years now, current mileage 52k only changed a radiator twice, now EGR problems. How in blazes do you get that EGR valve off the plenum elbow? Anyone wanna buy my truck?lol

#2 ·
I think Ford has a special puller tool to get that thing off becuase they are usually damn near welded in. I've never actually pulled one out, I took the entire cooler out. Heard from a few people they are a major PITA though, you'll prob have to get a 2"x4" and a pry bar on it some how I would imagine. Good luck!

#3 ·
even the tool is a 50/50 shot at best, that's my sucess rate with it.

As a do-it-yourselfer just replace the elbow and egr together, no vertical cooler removal necessary, if you want I can give you good instructions on how this is done.

I snapped a pic of the last valve I broke off. Here's how the puller is situated

here's the broken valve

#4 ·
Hey thanks a bunch thats some good info and pics. I ended using a slide-hammer using the adaptor that joins a pair of vise grips on the end of the hammer. Removed the plastic housing and griped onto the end of the valve itself. With the plenum removed (just 4 bolts) Added some heat and (slide-hammering) and viola blew out like a honey-moon prick. LOL. I must say do not try and just pry and hammer out, this thing is really pressed into the elbow plenum, the casting just breaks off. F450 back on the Road!

#6 ·
On the last 6.4 shop truck that had a stuck egr valve I had to pull the elbow off.

I just loosened the clamps securing the vertical cooler and finagled it out if the way.

And then proceeded to break the egr valve out in pieces. Also used some heat and lots of pb blaster. Didn't damage the elbow too bad at all. When I reassembled I used some scotch-brite pads and a nice coat of anti-seize.

Im not too fond of the egr valve setup on the 6.4s to be on honest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.