Another what do you think thread... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Another what do you think thread...

I've been reading these forums for a few days, and registered just recently. Rather than beat around the bush, I'll just ask you guys outright:

Anyone think this is a decent deal?
2008 F250 4X4 Super Duty Crew Cab

According to the seller its below kbb (both a bad flag and a potential point of interest). But it does have 134,000 miles on it, and reading these forums I'm seeing that people were finding 08's with less miles for similar money last year. Can't really see a truck appreciating in value, especially with the 6.4L's reputation (which hasn't been star studded).

I do understand, as well, that the 6.4L can be made more reliable. Most of the problems with it stem from the EGR and DPF, which in Missouri I can delete without problem (thank god I'm not in St. Louis).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I bought my truck Oct 2010 for $30k from a dealer, with 82k miles. So off the top of my head without doing research I would say keep looking. That being said, is that the blue book for retail or private seller? I would guess its retail, not a private sale value. There are many ways to play the game, maybe he will come off 3-4 grand maybe not. All I can say is check autotrader, ebay etc etc and see what the market in your area is like, if your local market is higher than others, maybe think about traveling to buy one at a lower cost. Also do a search and get the info necessary to be able to distinguish between job 1,2 &3 and what the differences are. Lean towards a job 2or3, as the job 1's had a few minor problems; again a search of this forum will tell you allot more on that subject. Good Luck
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 AM

All I can tell you is the same as magnum stated. Check ebay and autotrader to get a feel for the current market. I know when I bought mine this past June these trucks were selling well below KBB, but markets come and go with the wind. Off the top of my head I'd think you should be closer to $25k for that truck, but like I said that's based off what I was seeing 8 months ago. Good luck!!
Old 01-20-2012, 06:41 AM

book values mean very little IMO

I got my J2 08 CC 4x4 Lariat with 108k. From a dealer. Loaded out, new tires, etc. $21.5k

I feel like I got a killer deal, but I feel like the truck listed in this thread would be worth looking at in the $23k range? maybe $23.5k if he removes the chrome door handles
Old 01-20-2012, 07:12 AM

I enjoy reading these posts about what everyone paid for their trucks, etc...I really do...and I certainly understand your reason for asking, but buying a used (excuse me...pre-owned) vehicle is kind of like going to a yard sale. What might appear to be the most worthless piece of overpriced old crap to one person might be just the treasure the next person has been looking for. The point is, if YOU like the truck and YOU are happy with the numbers, then that's all that really matters. It is a good looking rig, though, and appears to have all the bells and whistles. Enjoy.

Wayne

Last edited by cp2146; 01-20-2012 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2146 View Post
I enjoy reading these posts about what everyone paid for their trucks, etc...I really do...and I certainly understand your reason for asking, but buying a used (excuse me...pre-owned) vehicle is kind of like going to a yard sale. What might appear to be the most worthless piece of overpriced old crap to one person might be just the treasure the next person has been looking for. The point is, if YOU like the truck and YOU are happy with the numbers, then that's all that really matters. It is a good looking rig, though, and appears to have all the bells and whistles. Enjoy.

Wayne
I don't know about you but before I buy anything I shop around even if I love what i'm looking at right then and there. I know most of the time I can buy the exact same thing somewhere else cheaper.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:15 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It's a couple thousand more than I paid and I had about 15,000 miles less on mine, but I'm pretty sure I got a good deal on mine. So in my opinion that's not too bad. But as someone else stated its your money and your decision so if that works for you then that's cool. I would bargin a little but it doesn't sound bad to me. Good luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusMiller View Post
which in Missouri I can delete without problem (thank god I'm not in St. Louis).
Too bad I'm in st Louis!! We'll see what happens when I need inspection this year

Sent from the mower shop
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac97psd View Post
I don't know about you but before I buy anything I shop around even if I love what i'm looking at right then and there. I know most of the time I can buy the exact same thing somewhere else cheaper.
Oh yeah, I totally agree. Always shop around. You may or may to come back to the first one you see, but at least you'll have an idea of what's on the market. I just meant that while it's not a bad idea to get input from others, the ultimate decision to buy or not to buy has to be based on whether or not you are happy with the deal. I'm guessing he probably already knows that, though. There are just so many threads out there about "is this a good deal or not" that you kind of have to stop and ask yourself...what does it matter what we think or what we paid for our trucks. If he's happy with the numbers, then go for it. Just my two cents, man.

Wayne

Last edited by cp2146; 01-20-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replys fellas. I have done some shopping around, I found another 08 at a dealer for 25450, 30000 fewer miles too. It did have the job one engine though, and was white (not my favorite color) and had a bench rather than captains chairs up front.

But that does tell me this one is over priced. For a four year old(from date of manufacture likely) lariat with 134xxx miles, I'm going to offer $22500. And I have a vehicle he may want in trade too, so there is that. Still looking for other trucks though.

On the 08, for reliablity's sake you need to delete the dpf and egr right? Spartan tuner the best way to do that?

Last edited by MarcusMiller; 01-20-2012 at 11:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2146 View Post
...what does it matter what we think or what we paid for our trucks.

Wayne
Hope I'm not coming across as a smartass, but that's exactly why I'm here. It's ok though, because while I do want to secure a good deal (and knowing the market is key to that), you are right that ultimately it will come down to the truck I like most.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.