Suspension Gurus Welcome!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Suspension Gurus Welcome!!!

I have a F250 with a 6" Fabtech lift and 325/50r22 tires. The thing is that this truck rides like it has ZERO suspension. I know it's not going to ride like a car I've owned other 3/4 ton trucks before. And I know the small sidewall plays a role but during an entire week of driving the front shocks had only compressed about 2 to 21/2 inches. I know because of the mud on the shaft.

So, what are my options without breaking the bank to soften the ride? Different coils? New shocks(currently has Fabtech)?

Someone please school me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I'm on the AutoGuide app so I can't look at your profile to see what type of setup you have compared to mine.

I have a Fabtech with 6in as well, dual reservoir socks in front, standards in rear. I have a different tire though, 325/65r18 (35in). Before I got the truck from the dealer, I drove a stock truck to have a better comparison. Night and day. Truck rides allot smoother on streets and offroad. Even when hitting edge bumps and pot holes it was so much nicer compared to stock.

Have you explained the conditions to your installer or was the truck used and suspension installed by previous owner?

Sent from my EVO using AutoGuide app.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:25 AM
Premium Member

Yeah I bought the truck with it. So maybe I should try some new shocks? Which ones?
Old 01-20-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin07 View Post
I have a F250 with a 6" Fabtech lift and 325/50r22 tires. The thing is that this truck rides like it has ZERO suspension. I know it's not going to ride like a car I've owned other 3/4 ton trucks before. And I know the small sidewall plays a role but during an entire week of driving the front shocks had only compressed about 2 to 21/2 inches. I know because of the mud on the shaft.

So, what are my options without breaking the bank to soften the ride? Different coils? New shocks(currently has Fabtech)?

Someone please school me!!!
Couple fo things contribute the the ride quality, one is the 50 series Tires, nto a lot of give in teh sidewall. Two what kind of shock setup do you have? Duals, coil overs, singles? depending on the valving that could be a major part of the issue. Most shock setups are not matched to the vehicle and the way it is driven normally. If you have a 3/4 T rig the shocks are set up for the rig loaded ( Max load).

Spring rate is another factor I bet the springs are a constant rate type and not a progressive style. Difference is it take a lot less force to compress the first part of a Progreessive spring than a constant rate spring.

One suggestion might be lose the metal spring all together. Try a Coil ofer set up or better yet an Air bag setup.

I run a full air suspension on my 450. the ride difference is like night and day, yet I can carry a full load with no sway or hobbie horsing. Had two pallets of wood pellets in back last week 4000#, rode liek a dream and even on the twisty road there were no adverse handling issues.

Ride quality is all in the setup, not many spend much time on that part.

Cheers
and Good luck.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:30 AM
Premium Member

It has the Fabtech shocks that come with the lift kit so I am assuming they are vehicle specific but guess that doesn't mean they're good. It's a single shock setup. Single rate coil spring.

I know I want to and should get a progressive coil and new shocks. Unfortunately I can't get both at the same time. Just one or the other right now. So my real question is, A: What shocks that aren't crazy $ will provide a nice ride on and off road? B: What progressive coil spring would be soft? I see Top Gun Customz has some and Icon, maybe others.

Are the silver Bilsteins any good for a smoother ride?
What about the Icon 7" progressive coil?

Thanks to those that are trying to help me!!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin07 View Post
It has the Fabtech shocks that come with the lift kit so I am assuming they are vehicle specific but guess that doesn't mean they're good. It's a single shock setup. Single rate coil spring.

I know I want to and should get a progressive coil and new shocks. Unfortunately I can't get both at the same time. Just one or the other right now. So my real question is, A: What shocks that aren't crazy $ will provide a nice ride on and off road? B: What progressive coil spring would be soft? I see Top Gun Customz has some and Icon, maybe others.

Are the silver Bilsteins any good for a smoother ride?
What about the Icon 7" progressive coil?

Thanks to those that are trying to help me!!!!
My 2 cents on this,

Work the spring rate issue first and the shock issue second. You might find that the shocks will work well with the progressive spring.
Cheers
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 AM

another thougth,

Sound like on road performance is the biggest issue yes? Most on-off roaders spend more time on road than off. I suggest dial in one or the other, it will never be Lincoln smooth but it can be improved.

The Coil over kits ( replacing the front spring) can be quite tunable (ie soft) but they might be a little steep $$ wise.

What to do with the rear suspension is the next question.... 4 link? air? different spring setup. once you soften the front up the rear will be out of balance give you that bucking feeling. If you do not work the truck the solution is easy get more compliant spring and do way with the overloads or weight carrying lower spring.

Hope this helps some.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

Yes on road ride is a big deal because I DD the truck. I don't go off road a crazy amount but when I do it's not pleasant because of the horribly stiff suspension.

Ok so front progressive coils. Any thoughts on which ones. Are the ICON 7" coils worth a damn? How about the Top Gun Customz 6"?

Thanks
Old 01-20-2012, 07:09 AM

Talk to the SDHQ folks I do not have the website info but google and they can give you some info on the coil over kits and progressive coils.

Also Pure Performance in NY is also a good reference to chat with.

There is a guy on this forum CT performance Cary Tower that has a bunch of expirence with lifted off road rigs.

A quick Google search will get you the contact info you need. SDHQ is a Western outfit as is CT. Pure is a East coast outfit.

Cheers
Old 01-20-2012, 07:16 AM
Premium Member

Man I really appreciate your help. Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.