This dam truck! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This dam truck!

I think the 6.4 looks great and drives great but as far as reliability they suck!! I have never heard of such a variety of POTENTIAL problems with a single vehicle and to add the cost and work to fix these problems only makes it worse. Bought my 6.4 with 39,000 miles on it a few weeks ago and my dad who works at a local Ford dealership just sent me pics of my truck with the cab off and tranny pulled!! Bed plate leak and main seal leak. I'm am now agin in the process of debating if I want to sell the truck or keep it. To add to it i recently purchased (before I found out my truck would be in the shop for 2 weeks) a S&B CAI, mini maxx tuner, EGR and DPF delete, still in the box It's like should I invest more time and install all these parts only to have some other part fail or just save time and money and get another truck! This sucks FML

This dam truck!-img_0476-1-.jpg[/CODE][/QUOTE][/PHP][IMG]IMG_0477[1].JPG[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
This dam truck!-img_0477-1-.jpg  

Last edited by acelay; 01-20-2012 at 08:27 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Sorry to hear man, that does suck. I've been there.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelay View Post
I think the 6.4 looks great and drives great but as far as reliability they suck!! I have never heard of such a variety of POTENTIAL problems with a single vehicle and to add the cost and work to fix these problems only makes it worse. Bought my 6.4 with 39,000 miles on it a few weeks ago and my dad who works at a local Ford dealership just sent me pics of my truck with the cab off and tranny pulled!! Bed plate leak and main seal leak. I'm am now agin in the process of debating if I want to sell the truck or keep it. I think Ford should just lemon law the entire 6.4 lineup and upgrade me or us to the 6.7 or just me or us money back!!!: To add to it i recently purchased (before I found out my truck would be in the shop for 2 weeks) a S&B CAI, mini maxx tuner, EGR and DPF delete, still in the box It's like should I invest more time and install all these parts only to have some other part fail or just save time and money and get another truck! This sucks FML

Attachment 32750[/CODE]
[/PHP][IMG]IMG_0477[1].JPG[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear about your problems, there are plenty of 6.4's out there with a lot of miles not having any issues like this.

Good luck!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:23 AM

I feel your pain man, I haven't had any issues with mine yet (knock on wood) but the potential disaster that these things can turn into scares me senseless. Not only the potential for catastropic failures, but the cost to repair them on this truck is astronomical. I continually give serious thought to going down to the 1/2 ton with the eco-boost engine. I've heard nothing but good from them and I have a couple of cousins that have them and love them. I don't tow heavy enough or often enough to truly need this truck. I absolutley love the truck, it's just a daily concern for what could happen!

As a disclaimer, I'm on these forums just about daily so I see way too many stories on here which is what scares me most. I try to remind myself that most people come to these forums to get help with problems they're having and that this truck should be flawless for years to come ... either way the worry is always in the back of my head!

Good luck with your repairs!!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:24 AM

Look at the 6.0 problems... lol

Isn't this going to be covered under warranty for you?? I would hope so for even an 08 with 39,000 should still be under waranty right?

That does suck to hear tho. Best of luck! Mine has to go in for head gaskets real soon, thankfully under warranty.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:25 AM

My(wife's) 6.4 has had the cab off twice, and bedplate seal + rear mail seal replaced all under 30k.

I feel your pain. I think the 6.4 will eclipse the 6.0 as biggest POS known to man, lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullster View Post
[/PHP][IMG]IMG_0477[1].JPG[/IMG]
Sorry to hear about your problems, there are plenty of 6.4's out there with a lot of miles not having any issues like this.

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Yes I know that, but on a large scale it seems there are more problems with it than normal with a newer vehicle. There is a reason Ford ditched the 6.4.. I feel like I have a super hot girlfriend that recently cheated on me but I love her! What should i do, leave her or give her another chance!!?? lol Luckily I am still under warranty. I can't imagine what this would have cost. Being as the leaks were not that bad according to the diesal tech, this is something I most likely would have just left and monitored oil levels.

Last edited by acelay; 01-19-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'm sorry to hear about your pains but on the other side of the coin im at 142,000 miles and not a single problem (knock on wood). I love my truck and it doesn't have nearly the problems my 7.3 had. I know plenty of people with 6.4 that love them but I also hear some horror stories as well. There's both sides to everything. Some will love them, some will hate them. Best of luck!

Sent from the mower shop
Old 01-19-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acelay View Post
I think the 6.4 looks great and drives great but as far as reliability they suck!! I have never heard of such a variety of POTENTIAL problems with a single vehicle and to add the cost and work to fix these problems only makes it worse. Bought my 6.4 with 39,000 miles on it a few weeks ago and my dad who works at a local Ford dealership just sent me pics of my truck with the cab off and tranny pulled!! Bed plate leak and main seal leak. I'm am now agin in the process of debating if I want to sell the truck or keep it. I think Ford should just lemon law the entire 6.4 lineup and upgrade me or us to the 6.7 or just me or us money back!!!: To add to it i recently purchased (before I found out my truck would be in the shop for 2 weeks) a S&B CAI, mini maxx tuner, EGR and DPF delete, still in the box It's like should I invest more time and install all these parts only to have some other part fail or just save time and money and get another truck! This sucks FML
Sounds to me like you should have done more research before you bought a 6.4l. These problems are not uncommon, and are far from being "new". These trucks have been out for 4 years now and there are just as many 6.4l with high miles and no problems as there are ones with problems... it's part of the risk you take. Seeing you just bought your truck a few weeks ago ment you had plenty of time to research. Do you feel that any plane at any airport in this world will surely crash and your never going to fly again? All you hear about is planes that crash, or have malfunctions, or need to make emergency landings.... you dont hear a word about the millions of plane fights that have no issues at all. All you ever hear about is problems, and it does not matter what type of transportation your talking about. You never hear everyone saying how uneventful today was and that everything went 100% fine with no problems what so ever. The same goes for these trucks as is any vehicle forum, people come on here to voice about problems theyve had. If you didnt know what you were getting into before you got into it, then your lack of planning and research does not warrant drowning us in your tears when something happens.

Last edited by CT9AIX; 01-19-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM

I would enjoy your truck while your warranty exists. If you near 100k or the time limit on it and you're still having problems or aren't comfortable with it you can move it at that time. I'd also be glad these issues were found before you put all your mods on!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.