Hooking Aux switches to lighting & Components - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 05:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hooking Aux switches to lighting & Components

I did a quick search and did not come up with much. So I wanted to do a little project this weekend and maybe put some LED's under the lip of the bed and also some lights under the rear bumper.

I wanted to terminate them to the Aux switch and finally do something with them. Can anyone tell me where exactly the termination point is? Do they have ground and hot?

Pictures would be great..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

There should be either a pic or explanation in your owners manuel. the group of wires are located just under the dash in front of the emergency brake. Owners manuel will explain what wires go with what switch.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The wires are under the far left side of your dash, kind of above the parking brake. They are just the hot or positive wires, you just ground whatever you are running off them to the body or frame of the truck.

Here is a great info thread about them: Upfitter switch wires.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:14 PM

When you find a bundle near the OBDII port, they are not what you want at least in my 2008. They are further up and to the left. I damn near went crazy looking for mine. Owners manual has colors and amp ratings.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 AM

where do you go through the body with the wires to go from the bed to in the cab to get to the upfitter switches?
Old 02-01-2012, 09:43 AM

Have not messed with my ford but most trucks have an access hole with a plug in it on the driver and passenger side. Just have to go out the bed and run it along the frame and then up threw an access hole in the fire wall..
Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggredd View Post
where do you go through the body with the wires to go from the bed to in the cab to get to the upfitter switches?
Find your customer access wires, they are four different colored wires, you can see the ends of them under your hood up by the brake master cylinder.

The other ends of the wires are under your dash, you can splice into any of those wires so that you don't have to run a new wire through your firewall.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:16 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I ran lights to the rear of my Dually. Pretty easy to do. Ran all the way from back of the frame and up the hole between the back of the inner wheel well liner - front driver side - and the body. If you get on a ladder and look down the firewall next to the master cylinder you can see right through the slot. I put a coat hanger ALL the way down the space from above the master cylinder to out the opening below with a hook bent into it. Then pulled a bunch of the wire up through above the master cylinder. This gives you extra to go to the relays (I strongly recommend relays as it isolates the wire harness from electrical issues in case of a short) and in the fire wall. Then I very carefully took the same coat hanger and Un-bent the hook and bent it up slightly in a curve and poked it through the rubber membrane "next to" the main wire harness, in its big oval rubber plug.Then fished it up on the curve where I wanted the wires to run from the engine compartment into the oval plug. put a hook in, taped them tight and pulled them through the hole in the rubber plug. Once they came through, the rubber membrane shrunk nice and tight back around the wires since it only stretched enough to get the hook through and closed back up. BAM! wires from the tail into the cab nice and easy... I used that plastic split pipe (5/8") I think it was, all the way from the back to the engine compartment then engine compartment to the oval plug to keep it all from chafing from vibration (and the wires WILL rub through in no time, if not shielded) Tied it all up with long zip ties everywhere I could to keep it from shaking and rubbing... Done Deal... Hope this helps..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.