Food For Thought - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Food For Thought

I have a theory I want to run by everyone to see if it makes sense. Feel free to tell me if I have lost my mind. Since I bought my truck in late October of 2011, I have been through several regens. Granted, some of them were probably because the previous one was not allowed to complete so it had to try again. I get that. However, I had never really noticed any performance difference other than lower fuel mileage and a different sound from under the hood during any of the cycles. I also mentioned in another thread (see Liar, liar) that my truck had never thrown any smoke during regen...until the last one. But since the last one, my performance seems to have improved, including fuel mileage. It even sounds different under the hood. Here's my theory/question. Is it possible that most if not all of the previous regens were not completely cleaning the DPF, therefore keeping the filter partially restricted? Then on the last one, when it finally blew smoke, it finally cleaned the filter properly and removed the restriction. Can that be possible or is it just wishful thinking and I'm imagining improved overall performance?

Wayne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp2146 View Post
I have a theory I want to run by everyone to see if it makes sense. Feel free to tell me if I have lost my mind. Since I bought my truck in late October of 2011, I have been through several regens. Granted, some of them were probably because the previous one was not allowed to complete so it had to try again. I get that. However, I had never really noticed any performance difference other than lower fuel mileage and a different sound from under the hood during any of the cycles. I also mentioned in another thread (see Liar, liar) that my truck had never thrown any smoke during regen...until the last one. But since the last one, my performance seems to have improved, including fuel mileage. It even sounds different under the hood. Here's my theory/question. Is it possible that most if not all of the previous regens were not completely cleaning the DPF, therefore keeping the filter partially restricted? Then on the last one, when it finally blew smoke, it finally cleaned the filter properly and removed the restriction. Can that be possible or is it just wishful thinking and I'm imagining improved overall performance?

Wayne
i dont know so i cant answer your question, but this reminds me of something that i think about all of the time! I really want to see first hand the experimental results of effectiveness of the dpf. I have a hard time believing that emmissions are reduced enough (just because we cant see it) to make up for the pollution that comes along with less fuel efficiency from the regens. What i am saying is that in a small but large way (when you think of the mpgs lost among all dpf equipped trucks combined) we are becoming more dependent on more fuel!

Laws of thermodynamics state that energy is neither created or destroyed. So i believe that instead of our trucks "polluting" individually, it is just adding to the pollution of those who acquire the oil (oil companies). So we are just shifting the hydrocarbon pollution to another source.

This system was so new and abandoned so quickly that i have to assume that it is not as effective as they thought. There is a trend with these trucks from my own experience and from what i read on this forum. Everyone early on experiences no white/blue smoke during there first how ever many regens...then it starts to happen. I would imagine this system was tested and approved off of results from this time period of no white/blue smoke. I would love to see how harmful the particulates are that are being blasted out with the white/blue smoke...maybe im crazy but this has been on my mind

Last edited by Jpr8771; 01-18-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpr8771 View Post
i dont know so i cant answer question, but this reminds me of something that i think about all of the time! I really want to see first hand the experimental results of effectiveness of the dpf. I have a hard time believing that emmissions are reduced enough (just because we cant see it) to make up for the pollution that comes along with less fuel efficiency from the regens. What i am saying is that in a small but large way (when you think of the mpgs lost among all dpf equipped trucks combined) we are becoming more dependent on more fuel!

Laws of thermodynamics state that energy is neither created or destroyed. So i believe that instead of our trucks "polluting" individually, it is just adding to the pollution of those who acquire the oil (oil companies). So we are just shifting the hydrocarbon pollution to another source.

This system was so new and abandoned so quickly that i have to assume that it is not as effective as they thought. There is a trend with these trucks from my own experience and from what i read on this forum. Everyone early on experiences no white/blue smoke during there first how ever many regens...then it starts to happen. I would imagine this system was tested and approved off of results from this time period of no white/blue smoke. I would love to see how harmful the particulates are that are being blasted out with the white/blue smoke...maybe im crazy but this has been on my mind
Yeah, I've thought the same thing. The EPA is all in a twist about particulates being expelled so they forced the auto makers to develop this ridiculous crap. But you're right. What about the particulates being expelled when they throw smoke during regen? Makes one think.

Wayne
Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 PM

its worth an attempt for a consumer to perform a true study with an emmissions analyzer...the results could be big!

someone answer the OPs question so we may continue on with our conspiracy theories! ha
Old 01-18-2012, 02:46 PM

The dpf is something that will hold the EPA off until they come out with some new crap!
Old 01-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I drive quite a bit but usually in 30 mile bursts with 25 of that at highway speeds...I am a contractor and drive from site to site to check on the crews. I was all stock and getting right at about 11.8-12.3. I recently put a 3" lift and 325/60/20s on my truck and took a 1500 mile trip. On the way there I got horrible mpg but may have been pushing the aerodynamics a little. On the way back the truck went in to re-gen for a long time and it showed "drive to clean exhaust" and then "cleaning exhaust" for quite some time

Usually I would see it flash "cleaning exhaust" on the highway and then just drop back off in a few seconds. For some reason I am getting in the 13's now??? I figured I would loose much more with the lift and tires and expect to but the extended clean seams to have improved mileage/power for the time being.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
anything is possible. a full regen can take 25-30 miles. The last truck I had to regen was about as plugged as it could have been and still initiated a cycle. It took me about 45 minutes to get it completed
Old 01-19-2012, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amizar View Post
Well I drive quite a bit but usually in 30 mile bursts with 25 of that at highway speeds...I am a contractor and drive from site to site to check on the crews. I was all stock and getting right at about 11.8-12.3. I recently put a 3" lift and 325/60/20s on my truck and took a 1500 mile trip. On the way there I got horrible mpg but may have been pushing the aerodynamics a little. On the way back the truck went in to re-gen for a long time and it showed "drive to clean exhaust" and then "cleaning exhaust" for quite some time

Usually I would see it flash "cleaning exhaust" on the highway and then just drop back off in a few seconds. For some reason I am getting in the 13's now??? I figured I would loose much more with the lift and tires and expect to but the extended clean seams to have improved mileage/power for the time being.
Yeah, I usually get the "cleaning exhaust filter" message and notice the fuel mileage drop, plus making a sound like a lose vacuum hose. I've only seen the "drive to clean" message once. Anyway, as I mentioned, I had never seen my truck throw any smoke whatsoever during a regen...until the last one. However, since that one, my mileage has improved greatly and it seems to have more power. That's what makes me think the last regen finally unplugged something (I assume the DPF), bringing me to the decision that warranty be damned, the DPF is history as soon as I can find a good diesel shop to work with.

Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.