Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Liar, liar

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  BC stroker 
#1 · (Edited)
At my age, I should know by now to never say never. I must retract my foolish statement from another thread about never seeing any smoke during regen because my truck just made a liar out of me. It had just gone into a regen and when I pulled away from a stop sign, it belched out a cloud of white smoke. Nothing that I would call as severe as some of the videos I have seen, but definitely visible. It didn't last more than maybe 30 seconds, but it really torqued me off. Normal...not normal...whatever...I didn't like it. Not only that, it threw the P2454 code again...AARRGGHH!! I know all these conditions are related, but I've come to the decision that warranty be damned, I'm dumping the DPF, probably the EGR, CAT, and any other emissions crap I can think of. Obviously, I'll be tuning as well. All that being said, can anyone recommend a good shop in the Dallas, Texas area to work with? I'm pretty mechanically challenged, and to stay in the good graces of my neighborhood homeowner's association, I'll need to take it to a professional. Thanks in advance.

Wayne

#2 ·
Performance Truck Products is in Texas, Tomball, closer to Houston....you can purchase and get it installed.....drive down and make a day of it

#3 ·
So youre angry because it smokes a bit at regen? its normal.... my 6.4 did that too. made me think that something was wrong, but when i took it in, they said its 100% normal.

#4 ·
Well, angry is a strong word, but yes I was a little ticked off because in the many regens the truck has done since I bought it a little less than 3 months ago, that's the first time I've seen it smoke. I'm not arguing with anyone over what is normal and what isn't, it may be very normal, but it just doesn't seem right that the truck belches out a big cloud of smoke during a regen. Also, lately I've been noticing a strong odor of what smells like burning rubber during a regen that is not allowed to complete. I assume this is because the DPF, etc, gets so hot during the cycle. As much as I'd like to, I can't always keep driving to allow completion of the cycle which would help with temp control.

Wayne

#7 ·
I'm from up near Decatur on the other side of Ft Worth and there is a shop in Weatherford that does diesel stuff.
Now, they may not be the SMARTEST when it comes to performance (they may think a DPF on quadzilla tune is good) but if you go in there and tell them exactly what you want and give them the parts, they should be able to do it.
Actually there's two. One in town and one just west on I20.
High Performance Diesel - Texas Diesel Power - For all your diesel needs - They're in town. idr the other one.

#10 ·
We have a few 6.4's at work. Sometimes they get barged in and we start building road from the beach. The worst is when we get a couple clicks of road in and the truck starts cleaning the filter.. In 4 low. That scared the crap out of me the first time.:hehe: half a ton of explosives in the back and I'm thinkin the suckers on fire.. and I'm ready to abandon ship. They really belch it out when you keep a steady rpm. I feel horrible for those trucks we have, some never get the chance to clean for the whole cycle and they clean every day.. Oh well, dont by roadbuilding crew trucks:icon_ford:

#11 ·
Uh, yeah...I think I'd be bailing out too if I had a half ton of explosives in the back and all of the sudden my truck looked like it was on fire. Mine hasn't cleaned again since the incident so I don't know if it's gonna throw smoke or not. I will say, however, it has seemed to be running extra good (not that it was ever bad) and the mileage seems to have improved. Maybe it just really cleaned good this time and helped performance. Time will tell

By the way, that's an awesome avatar.

Wayne

#12 ·
Thanks, at least she's representing Canada in a good fashion..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.