Reliability of 2010 6.4 with deletes and average cost to do them? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post Reliability of 2010 6.4 with deletes and average cost to do them?

Hello, I am new to powerstroke forum as I have always had ford gassers. This spring I will be upgrading to a diesel. Everyone is telling me to look towards duramax/cummins but i just cant turn my back on the chassis and design of Ford in general. I understand that with a dpf delete, and egr delete these engines can be quite reliable???? And if i had the egr delete professionally installed how much would i be looking at cost wise with a 6.4? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Larry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 05:15 PM
IBEW Journeyman Lineman

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My opinion on the 6.4 with dpf/ egr deletes is that they are very reliable. There are ALOT of these trucks on the road and will be for a long time. Not unlike any other vehicle, they are going to break and have things go wrong from time to time. But they are still a great truck and I love my 6.4. It's had 0 problems and is a blast to drive, just rolled over 114k miles. Having an egr delete kit installed would probably run you 5-7 hours labor plus parts. I'm no tech so I'm sure they could give you an exact time on it but mine took around 7 with me taking my time. If you're mechanically inclined you could do it yourself over a weekend easily.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Polarbear, thanks for the info its always good to hear the good things from actual owners rather then bad from non owners. Your 6.4 is a super clean looking truck!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Maintenance on these trucks or any diesel for that matter seems to be considerably more than what a gas truck would be. Also, the biggest issue with all the newer diesels is the emissions stuff on them so you'd pretty much have to delete any of the Big Three to get better mileage and increased reliability. I was quoted 9 hours of labor for the complete removal of the EGR system and to install the new EGR delete. This was with the cab off. Guess it depends on how easily your old coolers want to come off and what's involved with the delete you choose.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:04 AM

ive got an 08 f350 SRW and I LOVE IT! I just did the diamond eye 4" turbo back exhaust with an S&B intake and the H&S XRT PRO and it is literally like adding another engine to the truck! I havent had one problem out of mine. my friend has an 05 duramax and ill throw rocks at that thing. (not hating on chevy...just giving my opinion on driving both). Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:06 AM

Smile

If you get a programer, you dont have to physically take off the EGR. The programer automaticaly turns it off.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I just rolled 100k yesterday on my truck. It has been tuned since 30k miles with no issues. Truck runs great! Biggest thing is maintenance. These high pressure fuel systems in all the new diesels do not like water or debre so change filters ever 10k and drain the water sep every month. Change your oil ever 5k and drive the truck like a rental.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRSFORD View Post
Hello, I am new to powerstroke forum as I have always had ford gassers. This spring I will be upgrading to a diesel. Everyone is telling me to look towards duramax/cummins but i just cant turn my back on the chassis and design of Ford in general. I understand that with a dpf delete, and egr delete these engines can be quite reliable???? And if i had the egr delete professionally installed how much would i be looking at cost wise with a 6.4? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Larry
who is everyone? i have 2 friends with duramaxes, they swear by them, and they say they would never get a ford... i out tow/ pull both of them......easily...... empty i have blown them both away.....easily. my trucks better looking and has never given me a problem, you will get minor problems with all autos these days ,do to all of the electronics on them....my buddy has had way more issues with his dmax than i ever had......it comes down to being a ford guy or a chevy guy for the most part, ..... fyi... forums bring up a lot of problem posts, but that's what they are for..... if you read just the forum you would be thinking your truck is getting ready to explode any minute......its not a true representation of any vehicle...

the 6.4 is a beast after its tuned and deleted..........::ico n_ford:

mini max tuner(my recommendation) air intake, 5" exhaust with muffler, nice dash mount for tuner.... total $1700......mini will turn off the EGR valve.... recommended at some point a full EGR delete to remove the coolers.... the kit for this runs $250 to$300.....all of this can be installed in your driveway with simple hand tools....

Last edited by INJEKTER1; 01-13-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:46 AM

River City Diesel quoted me about 3.5 hours for the EGR delete (cab on) a few days ago. Their kit includes the intake elbow and intercooler pipe for $499, total qoute was about $900 if I remember right.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:15 AM

I wish we never head the stupid DPF and ERG systems on our trucks! Life would be so easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.