buy a fender bender 6.4, or put $ into 7.3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
buy a fender bender 6.4, or put $ into 7.3

Been debating on upgrading to a newer truck or stick money in to my 7.3l.
How much in parts to fix this front end? needs bumper, lights, left fender, maybe couple suspension pieces.
Frame has a slight twist would need to be straightened. Not worth it?
As title says, slowly build up the 7.3 or money on a 6.4(not necessarily this one)? Is the 6.4 gonna be a good reliable truck with minor mods like deletes and tuner or just mediocre?
Are the fuel systems in the 6.4 really that bad?

thanks for your input.

Vince
John Deere product developement
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FOR SALE '99F350 2008 F350 mini maxx'd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by countryraised; 01-07-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 10:36 AM

I have never had any problems with my 6.4. I loved my 7.3. Ill put it like this. The 6.4 is amazing if you do the maintenance and treat her right it wont take abuse like a 7.3. By this I mean going over on oil changes dirty fuel not changing fuel filters ect. If you maintain a 6.4 poorly you'll pay dearly. If you want a truck you can abuse stick with the 7.3. I love my 6.4 but I keep her maintained but I enjoy that kind of work. That said that6.4 would be a relatively cheap fix providing you do it yourself and don't pay to much for it.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Parts will be not to bad if check places like Ebay or go to car-parts.com. The 6.4 is very reliable once you delete everything and run a proper tuner. The fuel system in these trucks is awesome but is very sensitive to water contamination. I run a second fuel water seperator before the stock as insurance. All in all I think they are awesome trucks. Make sure you get the frame looked at before you buy it.

Project Frankenstein

1997 Ford F-350, Dually conversion, Cobra 29 LX CB, 12000 watt converter, All LED lights, TW tunes, 4" DP, Napa Intake, coolant filter, 140cc Injectors and lots of running lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPLOSIV View Post
Thanks. I'll give er a good wackin in the morning.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
If you're financing this truck/getting a loan on it, are the banks going to lend on a truck that's been in an accident? I'm specifically asking this question in regards to the "slight frame damage." I wouldn't mind getting that truck if it was for the right price and you can source OEM parts from places like Tasca Parts but still am concerned about the frame damage.

09 F350 CCSB SRW Cabela's.

Husky Weather Beaters
Putco Window Visors
Piaa Xtreme White 4k
Dura Flap SS Mud Flaps
Recon Smoked Mirror, Brake, Tails
Line-X
Bak Flip F1
BDS/Fox 2.0 Dual Steering Stabilizer
Fox 2.0 shocks
Good Year Duratracs
Firestone Air Bags
Air Horn
MiniMaxx/5" TBE
No Limit EGR Delete
Vision X Lights
2" Solstice Solo
8" Evo Prime
12" XMitter Low Pro Prime
4" Solstice Prime
20" Evo Prime Double Stack
12" XMitter Prime Ambers
Truck Bed Lights
post #5 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 AM

How much is the 6.4? Will it have a salvage or clear title?

If it is a clear title the bank will loan you full amount on truck or whatever it will cost you to buy and fix it. It really just depends on how much they want for the truck.

Now you cant beat the 7.3 i loved my old 7.3. The 6.4 is a strong and powerfull motor. Just keep up on the normal maintance and you will have no problem at all with the truck. Im closing in on 200k

Jeremiah

Horsepower is like sex, once you get it you can't get enough of it

2008 6.4 with 200k and counting

5" FLO-PRO exhaust W/6" tip
AFE stage 2 CAI
Spartan tuner
PTP EGR Delete
coolant filter
CCV Mod
leveling kit
4in rear Blocks
20's W/35's
post #6 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

The 6.4 in the pic would be a salvage title, 61000 miles, I would do everything myself except the frame. I could get it for about 16k. which I'm thinking is a little high, for about 21k I could buy one with 100k miles needs nothing, other than a tuner and deletes.

Vince

post #7 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 AM

16k with a salvage title is to high in my opinion to. A bank might not even loan you the money to buy it. If they did you wouldnt have any money to buy the parts need to fix it and fixing the frame wont be cheap.

Jeremiah

Horsepower is like sex, once you get it you can't get enough of it

2008 6.4 with 200k and counting

5" FLO-PRO exhaust W/6" tip
AFE stage 2 CAI
Spartan tuner
PTP EGR Delete
coolant filter
CCV Mod
leveling kit
4in rear Blocks
20's W/35's
post #8 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

searching around I have found a dealership in chicago that has a fleet of 6.4's bought from the fed gov. they have between 65k to 250k miles and priced between $12500-16500. Might have to make a trip over there and check them out. would leave a lot of money for me to delete tune, and customize. but at this point I'm still just call around and kicking tires, I got the itch to do something, I just need to decide what.

Vince

Last edited by countryraised; 01-07-2012 at 12:09 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-07-2012, 12:28 PM

Yeah too high id find a good one with lower miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode