New Guy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 06:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Guy

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum. Well I havent actually bought my truck yet, I'm still trying to make sure of what I want. I know the 6.4 has its haters but with a few mods seems to be a reliable platform. Looking to make this my "good" truck haha. Im hoping to get a SRW F250 4 door 4x4. Found quite a few in my price range that have less than 75000 miles on em. So hères the plan. 6" fabtech 4-link lift, stock king ranch wheels and 37" tires for the looks department. Now for the performance area that I need confirmation on. Spartan tuner, dpf/cat delete run into dual 6" miter cut stacks and the flo pro egr delete. I know people will have opinions on whats best and thats what I want to hear just dont turn this into a shouting match please lol. I need pros and cons on these items and if there is a problem with the setup id like to know it. Also on the exhaust end im lost so help here would be great. Thanks in advance and hope to be a proud owner of one of these beauties soon! Look forward to many discussions with yall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would go withe an h&s over the Spartan the h& s shifts on the fly everything else sound good tho . Spartan is great but it takes so long to switch tunes. Im not a stack man myself but im sure someone will chime in on that. Love my 6.4 tho just ditch the Dpf/cat and your good to go. Might run an oasis report before you buy tho. Most people who hate 6.4 are people who treated them wrong and are mad now. If you wont keep up on maintenance and go the extra mile to treat it right don't buy one.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 PM

I'm a very proud Spartan owner but I'll also tell you that you can't go wrong with either. The amount of tunes you get and the power range with Spartan is what helped me go with them. As for shift on the fly with H&S that almost put me in their camp but lets be honest, how often are you really going to switch tunes? I'm still playing with a few trying to figure out which works best for me and what I like for MPG but switching tunes has never been an issue for me. If I switch I do it when I get home, run back out 30 minutes later and turn it off. No hassle, no sitting around waiting for it to finish.

Now, if you tow a lot of heavy weight I could see H&S being handy for quick switches between pulling tunes and street tunes, but otherwise "shift on the fly" shouldn't be a selling point. As far as every day driving is concerned, once you find the tune that's right for you you'll probably never change it. Also, just my opinion / $.02 ... whatever it's worth!
Old 01-07-2012, 03:11 PM

I tow alot that's why I like h&s but either one is a good tuner
Old 01-07-2012, 03:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. Thats what I was wanting to hear. Like I said previously it's not going to be a DD so mileage isn't the biggest concern, reliability is. I'm split between Spartan and H&S also but I think the deciding factor is going to be the larger amount of tune options on the Spartan. Do have another question though, on the Oasis report from what I read it seems the dealer will run it for free but what if I buy one from a private seller? Will they run one for free still? If not how much is it?
Old 01-07-2012, 03:31 PM

Still free at the dealer
Old 01-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats good. I'll be sure and remember to do that. Another question on tuners. Am i going to need to do anything to the tranny or does the tuner take care of all the the things like lockup and shift points to handle the extra power?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:47 PM

H&s dose it. The torque shift tranny is good for 700+ hp so your good in that dept.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

O yeah cause I dont make enough to push that much haha.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:11 PM

Well just fyi if u get an h&s it dose all the work for you.all you'll have to do is mash the peddle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.