Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fluids

1K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Clayton1985 
#1 · (Edited)
Ive been looking and researching but not exactly finding what I need.

I want to change all the fluids and filters in my new rig so I have a base to start with.

I know what engine oil and filter I need plan to run 5w40 T6
I found what fuel filters I need frame rail water separator and engine bay filter
I found the job 1 trans filter and wrench I need
I also found what internal trans filter I need if I have a job 2 truck
I assume we use Mercon SP trans fluids apx 8 quarts
I plan to flush the radiator out and add ELC 1 coolant apx 4 gallons concentrated after I flush with water and then distiller water.

What I can't seem to figure out is what axle fluid we use. I want to say my 06 was 75/140 full synthetic

Anyone know the type of axle fluid called for. Or is what I have listed above ok. I hope it is since expensive and I have 8 quarts in the garage lol

Thanks for any help

See less See more
#3 ·
75w90 or 80w90 in the front differential and 75w140 out back.

#4 ·
How do you plan to go about draining all the current coolant from engine? Is there a drain on the block allowing to drain all coolant from engine? Just wondering how without a machine to 'flush&replace'.

#5 ·
I havnt slide up under the truck yet to see what im working with, but on my 6.0 i just pulled the lower Rad hose, that drained about 4 gallons. I pulled the T state and bolted the hosing back on.

To flush it i just use water from the hose and fill run 10 minutes drain till its all clear.

Then use de ionized water to fill run 10 minutes and drain. This takes about 7 cycles.

1st is apx 50/50
2nd then is 25/75
3rd is 12/88
so on by the 7ths time its like 1/ 99 then drain that add concentrated ELC 1 and you end up with the 50/50 mix apx.

You wont get a reverse flush or even a power flush but i doubt it needs that at my milage, i just want to know its got silicon free antifreeze as this is what Ford normally uses and killed the 6.0 cooler with it. I know this one the oil cooler is seperate and infront of the radiator but i want a much higher quality antifreeze in my rig.

#8 ·
#9 ·
Pretty sure I have 75-140 in both front and rear diffs.

#10 ·
Thats what i was thinking i herd on my 6.0 because i bought so much of the stuff, i will have to check with Ford see if there ok with both axles same fluid. I hope they are as this stuff is expensive LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.