Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Buy now or wait until the bugs are out....

4K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  WILLIAM LORCH 
#1 ·
Howdy my peeps. Wife and I have been looking at trading our '04 F350 Crew Cab 6.0 DRW 4x4 for a newer model. Last night we found a used '06 F350 Crew Cab DRW FX4 but the hours on the motor were high relative to the mileage. So the discussion began....

Anyway, she suggested that we just buy a new '08 customized to the way we want it. :thumb: WHAT A LADY! But I'm concerned about the '08s because of the threads associated with the 6.4 motor.

Coming to you all.....should I wait another 4 to 5 months for the bugs to be worked out in the '08s and 6.4 line? Go with a 6.0 instead (if I can find one).

Bottom line....this truck has to last me MANY years so I need to do it right this time. Newer stuff is always exciting but can be a bigger headache too until things are ironed out.

Thanks for your feedback....

:beer:

#32 ·
I just purchased my 08 F250 6.4. I too was a little concerned about buying the first year. But then I realized after a little research that when the 7.3 and 6.0 were introduced they had "major issues" just like the chevy 6.5 and the cummins. I remember while in the USAF the motor pool would issue torque wrenches for the bodies of the dodges...because they shook so bad body parts would become loose. So after further review I traded my 6.0 for the 6.4 with no regrets. the truck is awesome. And what lovely resale the PSD have!!

#33 ·
Howdy my peeps. Wife and I have been looking at trading our '04 F350 Crew Cab 6.0 DRW 4x4 for a newer model. Last night we found a used '06 F350 Crew Cab DRW FX4 but the hours on the motor were high relative to the mileage. So the discussion began....

Anyway, she suggested that we just buy a new '08 customized to the way we want it. :thumb: WHAT A LADY! But I'm concerned about the '08s because of the threads associated with the 6.4 motor.

Coming to you all.....should I wait another 4 to 5 months for the bugs to be worked out in the '08s and 6.4 line? Go with a 6.0 instead (if I can find one).

Bottom line....this truck has to last me MANY years so I need to do it right this time. Newer stuff is always exciting but can be a bigger headache too until things are ironed out.

Thanks for your feedback....

:beer:
Well, I replied only cause I purchased an 07 in april. six months and 6700 miles ago . The ride,the finish,the fit,the engine,the trans,everything has been flawless.When dealing with the sailsperson , I looked for a negotiation point (flaw) None found. The tires were even exactly what I wanted.. (goodrich at's) Finding an 07 might be a little tough about now,many are still favorable to the existing bodystyle.

#34 ·
Actually the Kentucky Truck Plant has been punching the 08 Superduties for a year now (started in Sept of 2006). So essentially the dreaded one year mark is up.

And as an aside to the milage and regen issues, members on other sites are claiming better milage and a significant drop in regeneration cycles when using the Ford Cetane Booster Additive.

My truck only exists on paper right now on someone's desk in Kentucky so I can't give my 2 cents on issues and dependability yet.

#35 ·
"And as an aside to the milage and regen issues, members on other sites are claiming better milage and a significant drop in regeneration cycles when using the Ford Cetane Booster Additive."

I have been using the Cetane boost for the last four fills, no noticable difference, still running 9.5-10 mpg. ~6000 miles.

#36 ·
Just do it !

I was also concerned, but when the incentives got to be $10,000 off the list, I traded my 01 7.3 F250 supercab for 08 F250 Crewcab. I only have 1,700miles, but I am feeling better about fuel economy already. First tank only got 13.5 miles per gallon. Second tank 15 mpg, third tank was on vacation, mostly hwy driving 17.5 mpg. Now back in town going back and forth to work 1/2 city 1/2 hwy driving, showing 16.5 mpg. Truck is unbelievably quiet and has awesome power. Hope it holds up as well as my 7.3. So far very pleased.

Bulldog:

#39 ·
Kinda long but a great post .. Not to worry soon push will come 2 shove and someting will give... think its called eithr adapt or go out of business.... Im getin up in yrs now however long ago i made the comment ht edeath knell has toled for the pistion fossle fuled engine... There are ohter ways to xtract energy an on the bright side the manfacturers will forced to find them and gues what life will go on people will still get transport and nothing will change but change it self............ Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.