synthetic oil or not.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:36 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smile synthetic oil or not..

Im new to this great machine. '09 F250 with 6.4L stock. owned it about 2 months now and it just turned 45k (oil was changed at 40k at the dealer).

I am looking to get input into the diffent types of oil. I live in Atlanta GA, so the coldest it gets in the winter is in the 20's (very rarely the teens, but I keep the truck in my garage anyway). during the summer it get upwards to 100F. I have always ran Mobil 1 synthetic in all my gas burners but don't know if its worth the money for my diesel. what has everyone out there done???

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 09:56 AM
Serving Our Country!

I change my oil in my 6.0 every 5000 miles. I use synthetic now, but I used dino up to 100,000 miles. After switching my truck runs smoother and quieter. To me it is worth the extra money, but I'm running Shell Rotella T6 not the more expensive Mobil 1. In the long run it doesn't seem to matter too much as to which oil you run. The most important thing to keep up with your oil changes so you have fresh oil in there.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Its about personal preference. Seems like just as many guys on here run synthetic as run dino. I myself run dino and have no issues.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I run dino and im on the edge too...
Got 100k on my truck and i dont know what to do
Old 01-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

when i hit 100k on my 08, i switched from dino to Rotella 5w-40 full synthetic, and my truck loves it.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:10 AM
Premium Member

I switched my 06 6.0 to T6 full syn at 50k and right away I got smoother starts, less rattle noise, and it sounded smoother at idle. Also on cold starts it was night and day difference with sound.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Did you guys run syn blend through it first, or straight to the full syn?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Since you're not deleted I wouldn't even consider synthetic. Your oil changes will be way too frequent to justify putting that stuff in your engine...unless you have deep pockets that is.

I've been using Rotella 15w-40 but am coming up on my first oil change since deleting and will either change to Amsoil 5w-40 or the rotella T6 synthetic blend. Once deleted you'll be able to get more mileage out of your oil which will make it a little more affordable. I never drive more than 10k miles in a year so I'll likely go from 2 dino oil changes a year to just 1 with the synthetic.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thero View Post
Since you're not deleted I wouldn't even consider synthetic. Your oil changes will be way too frequent to justify putting that stuff in your engine...unless you have deep pockets that is.

I've been using Rotella 15w-40 but am coming up on my first oil change since deleting and will either change to Amsoil 5w-40 or the rotella T6 synthetic blend. Once deleted you'll be able to get more mileage out of your oil which will make it a little more affordable. I never drive more than 10k miles in a year so I'll likely go from 2 dino oil changes a year to just 1 with the synthetic.
good point, didnt know he wasnt deleted, you will not want to extend your oil changes to 10k miles if you are still running a DPF, your oil becomes diluted with fuel anyways so it really really needs to be changed at max 5k with DPF on
Old 01-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

I went straight to full syn.

On the 6.0 it's imperative you change oil every 5k since the oil is used to fire the injectors and any dirt there uses injector issues such as sticking.

On the 6.4 it's an electric injector so it's not as important but I'm not sure the recommended oil change intervals. I was planning on going 5k intervals unless there is a more standard rate. I do all my own maintenance and fluid changes so full synthetic oil change is 100 not to bad. It would be 60 for regular oil so I have no problem paying the extra 40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.