Considering an 08 6.4 and need guidance - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering an 08 6.4 and need guidance

Guys,

It's been a while since I've posted on here. I sold the 250 and bought a 3500 6.7 Ram; pulls like a freight train but the quad cab is too small and the seats SUK (Dodge owners will back me up on this). This summer I am looking to get back into Ford and have found some smoking deals on 450's, including KR's. Researching these engines has brought some eye opening things to light, such as leaking radiators, self destructing turbos and major engine failures. The lessons learned from that 444 weren't lost on me.

My question is, other than the radiator, how common are these issues? Has the aftermarket caught up with the demand/need for fixes? What else should I look for? Is this a grenade waiting to go off?

I won't be stressing this truck, pulling a 6 ton fifth wheel. I love the capabilities, looks and interior comfort, but cannot stomach plunking down nearly 40 large on a used truck just to fatten someone elses wallet. I know the motors cost about 15k; fortunately, so does a 6.7 Cummins swap, which is a much better option IMO, and Allison swap may be comming...

Regardless, the truck will be out of factory warrenty, which opens up all the deletes without sweating too much. I'm wondering if investing in a good turbo and studs will make a huge difference. I've also contacted a couple of aftermarket radiator companies to see if they can custom make an all aluminum one. I'll let everyone know what I find.

Other than the mechanicals and HORRIBLE fuel mileage, what's it like to live with a "real" 450 everyday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

DPF and cat. delete will fix mpg's on the 6.4L great truck!!!!! need to program arter deletes
Old 01-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSS Diesel View Post
DPF and cat. delete will fix mpg's on the 6.4L great truck!!!!! need to program arter deletes
Second that! Love this truck more than my 7.3 and I thought my 7.3 was a beast! 140,xxx miles and not a single problem (knock in wood). Intake tuner and exhaust and you have one hell of a truck!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 01-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhsnbsaoa View Post
Second that! Love this truck more than my 7.3 and I thought my 7.3 was a beast! 140,xxx miles and not a single problem (knock in wood). Intake tuner and exhaust and you have one hell of a truck!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

In the same situation, been reading tons on this forum vs my normal 6.0 forum.

I see the popular programmer is the Minni Maxx, and H&S DPF delete system.
When you guys are saying intake are you refering to the CAI?

On the 6.0 Stock is best up to 500HP is the 6.4 factory air box junk?
Old 01-03-2012, 06:25 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the feedback. I planned on the deletes, just am not sure of tuner (SCT, Mini Maxx). The Frankenstein exhaust has got to go. Not sure about a CAI, as I am looking for reliability v/s outright power.

I'm just really worried about another Ford IED (Internally Exploding Device) and don't want to be stuck in Bumblescum USA waiting for a set of head gaskets, radiator, front cover or engine. The rest of the truck is a beast, just wish I had piece of mind with the Maxxforce.

Keep the positive reinforcement coming and I just might re-convert to the Ford faith.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:30 PM

lol, I've owned a ton of Dodges. The seats put me in a Ford. I wouldn't touch a 450+

I don't care for the King Ranch two tone exterior or interior
Old 01-03-2012, 06:53 PM

I personally wouldnt bother with an allison swap, from my research the torqshift is just as good if not better.
Get rid of the emissions, egr/dpf and the 6.4 is a beauty. A tuner will help with mpg a bit, nothing to write home about though. (Maybe moreso with a srw)

And I must be missing something with the "444" and "450" talk? Cant be talking CI... 6.4 = 390/391...
Old 01-04-2012, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmandley View Post
In the same situation, been reading tons on this forum vs my normal 6.0 forum.

I see the popular programmer is the Minni Maxx, and H&S DPF delete system.
When you guys are saying intake are you refering to the CAI?

On the 6.0 Stock is best up to 500HP is the 6.4 factory air box junk?
The 6.4 puts out a lot more power than the 6.0. An aftermarket CAI is to feed your truck with the air required to run the HP tunes. The factory air box is not junk, but running some good tunes will cause the Air filter light to come on. Talk to some of the guys selling this stuff. They will fill you in with why/what to buy. They have spent thousands of hours and dollars researching the 6.4...they wouldn't steer your wrong.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:47 PM

FWIW, if you pull heavy all the time, I would get a 2010+ Dodge. The seats are a lot better and you get the benefit of the Cummins and not worrying about oil coolers, EGR coolers, front covers, water pumps, etc.

I love my 6.4, but I don't tow
Old 01-04-2012, 04:15 PM

I have to disagree boys, I work for a company that has 15 6.7 cummins trucks. These things are a disappointment. When the lease goes up they are gone. I had a 96 12 valve it was ok, I even liked my 98 24 valve the first ford (01 7.3) blew my mind. My dad drives chevys, and my grandpa has a dodge, my truck (08 f350) puts them to shame. I buy fords because I abuse my vehicle and they never let me down. Im not going to argue with chevy or dodge fans. All im saying is I love my 6.4, its never left me stranded and it runs like a champ. 6.7 cummins is a joke and the Isuzu/duramax is a fast piece of crap. I pull heavy loads im not worried about racing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.