Hi! new to the forum. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs up Hi! new to the forum.

Well just bought a 2008 Ford F250 4x4 w/ 83,000 on it. A very nice truck. I posted in the tech forum looking to get better MPG. Love the truck just was expecting a little bit better out of it. It can haul the Jeep and trailer great up and down the mountains. A little about me I live in colorado springs, CO. In the Army on my 3 deployment. Done a lot with Jeeps not with diesels. Willing to learn. If you have any good advice glad to hear it. Thanks Mike

Last edited by mikezx1; 12-30-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome to the club Mike!!

You just made one the best choices you'll ever make. Now your to-do list, delete the DPF, throw on a cold air intake, full exhaust, and tuner and you'll never sit in your truck without a smile on your face!! Next up, delete the EGR, then the rest is cosmetics to your liking.

Enjoy!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

thanks for the welcome.
i've been reading a lot about all i can do to the truck. there is a lot out there. still trying to get my head around it all. from what i gather you have to have a tuner and the DPF for the truck to run right or at all. so what is a good combo for me to run. not looking to drop my life's savings on it but not going super cheap either. looking more for MPG then anything. i know all the enviro crap is killing it. is it better to get the full exhaust w/ DPF or buy both sepretly. there are kits and stuff. i need a little help here. a little lost and over whelmed. thanks
Old 12-30-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikezx1 View Post
thanks for the welcome.
i've been reading a lot about all i can do to the truck. there is a lot out there. still trying to get my head around it all. from what i gather you have to have a tuner and the DPF for the truck to run right or at all. so what is a good combo for me to run. not looking to drop my life's savings on it but not going super cheap either. looking more for MPG then anything. i know all the enviro crap is killing it. is it better to get the full exhaust w/ DPF or buy both sepretly. there are kits and stuff. i need a little help here. a little lost and over whelmed. thanks

I hear ya that it can all be overwhelming at first. I'd recommend just doing search on the DPF and EGT and familiarize yourself with those two parts of the truck since that's what you're going to hear the most about on these forums. It'll also help you understand what they do and why we want them off our trucks.

You're looking to spend between $1000 - $2000 to do the DPF delete, CIA, and exhaust, depending on what tuner you go with. The two main tuners are Spartan and H&S. I have the spartan and love it but you'll hear the same from H&S owners and they both have their pro's and con's but you can't go wrong with either.

As for the exhaust, you're taking the DPF out of the exhaust line so you can either just put a piece of pipe in it's place, or replace the entire exhaust all at once. Once the DPF is off the truck you need the tuner to reprogram the truck to run without the DPF on there. You can do a tuner without the DPF delete, but you can't delete the DPF without a tuner.

As for MPG, what gears do you have? That'll be one of the big determining factors in what kind of MPG you'll see. Hope you have the 3.55 gears, anything above that starts to bring your MPG down. I have the 3.73 gears and only went from around 11 MPG to 12 MPG after the delete and tuner. Results vary though from truck to truck though so don't take my example as the rule.

Any other questions just holler. Also ...

Last edited by Thero; 12-30-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:31 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Old 12-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Welcome brotha! If you spend approx $1300 you'll have a powerful, reliable and good MPG truck that will keep a smile on your face. Do some searching on EGR and DPF deleting and you'll get everything you want out of the truck.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the ORG!
Old 12-30-2011, 03:45 PM
PROUD AMERICAN!!!

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
to the ORG, and thank you for your service!!

You should check out our Colorado chapter here on the org. We have a really good group of members. Several of them are military as well and a few of them stationed at Fort Carson. If you are interested, just go here to find us.... Centennial State Powerstrokes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Old 12-30-2011, 03:57 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:41 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome. You will want to do a DPF and DOC delete. I live in the Denver area and if you ever want to take a deleted truck for a spin so you can get an idea what yours will be like, let me know..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.