Bought a 6.4!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 04:58 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Bought a 6.4!!

Well guys, I pulled the trigger today and traded the 6.0 in on a 6.4. I got a really good deal...so I couldn't pass it up. Ended up gettin her for $23 before taxes...$26 after. It's got 35000 miles on it, 2008 (job 1) F250 Lariat, FX4, and get this....IT STILL HAS 4 YEARS LEFT ON THE WARRANTY!

So my question is this...right now, 10.4 MPG isnt gonna cut it. I know a tech at the Ford dealer that WONT void my warranty if I delete the EGR and DPF. What about everything else? At some point, I'd like to throw a lift on it, tires, and a tuner. Any input? I'd like to keep this under warranty as long as possible...anyway, give an ol 6.0 guy some advice!!!

Here's a pic of her...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would! Its alot better on the truck. do a dpf/doc delete and get yourself a tuner expecially if its a mod friendly dealer btw congrats on the purchase! it looks sharp!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Serving Our Country!

Send a message via AIM to f250ghost Send a message via MSN to f250ghost Send a message via Yahoo to f250ghost
Thanks! I'm definitely happy with it...and I couldn't beat the deal I got on it. I'm still gettin used to this 10.4mpg tho!!! lol
Old 12-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

I wish I knew a tech like that.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250ghost View Post
Thanks! I'm definitely happy with it...and I couldn't beat the deal I got on it. I'm still gettin used to this 10.4mpg tho!!! lol
After the excitment wears of and your truck is still in stock form you will see about 13.6-14.0 MPG on the lie-o-meter if you do a mix of city and minimal freeway driving as long as you drive it easy.

My awesome wife, mother and sister all got me 5" down pipe back, Mini Maxx tuner and AFE stage II intake for Christmas. So I installed everything on Monday. The past few days have been getting the tunes installed propely (I have an iMac) and now I am just waiting for the new power excitment settle down a bit. Then in a week or two I can actually start getting a good MPG reading with the new mods.

Have fun with it!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f250ghost View Post
Well guys, I pulled the trigger today and traded the 6.0 in on a 6.4. I got a really good deal...so I couldn't pass it up. Ended up gettin her for $23 before taxes...$26 after. It's got 35000 miles on it, 2008 (job 1) F250 Lariat, FX4, and get this....IT STILL HAS 4 YEARS LEFT ON THE WARRANTY!

So my question is this...right now, 10.4 MPG isnt gonna cut it. I know a tech at the Ford dealer that WONT void my warranty if I delete the EGR and DPF. What about everything else? At some point, I'd like to throw a lift on it, tires, and a tuner. Any input? I'd like to keep this under warranty as long as possible...anyway, give an ol 6.0 guy some advice!!!

Here's a pic of her...

woot

to the 6.4! I did the same not too long ago, and haven't regretted a single minute. If you have a mod-friendly dealer, I recommend you tune her and rid of the dpf...like YESTERDAY! It's SOOOOOOO BAD for the health of your truck. In order to rid of the dpf, you have to buy a tuner. If you have the money, I recommend going through peformancetruckproducts.com. I personally bought all of my stuff through them: AFE Intake, 5" Exhaust to a 6" tip, and Mini-Maxx all for around $1600. It seems like a lot of money, but it's the best money you will ever spend.

Do some searching on the 6.4 forum. There's lots to learn, and congrats on your new truck! She's a beauty!!!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Serving Our Country!

Thank ya very much! I'm in the middle of detailin her right now...I didn't want the dealer to do it...i like to do it right LOL. I was down at Suncoast Converters yesterday just talkin with the guys (friends with them) and Dallas was tellin me all about the mods LOL He strongly recommended a wastegate or blow off valve when I tune her...anybody done that?
Old 12-30-2011, 09:14 AM

That's an awesome deal, always makes me wish I waited longer
Old 12-31-2011, 01:05 PM

Congrats on the truck! I see you are at Hurlburt field AFB... I live just down the road to the east in Santa Rosa Beach! Sun Coast is definitely convienantly located in our area! I haven't done a blow off valve or WG due to the price. I still have to do an EGR delete and a few other small items before I can even try to convince my wife of anything else lol!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:12 PM
Don't you worry about it

You should not need a blow off valve unless you plan on adding Nitrous or something. I added a tuner and a bunch of other stuff to mine but gained very little MPGs. I still only get about 11 driving in town no matter how or who drives it. My head gaskets also blew so when you get it tuned don't be stupid with it, and trust me it's hard not to be. When you fire it up that first time after getting that DPF off you will shiver with excitement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.