Just drove my new '08 F250 crew home - how do these numbers look? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just drove my new '08 F250 crew home - how do these numbers look?

Just got an F-250 XL 6.4 Crew 4x4 long bed w/ 131,000 miles. has a fifth wheel in place. plain interior but in very nice shape, and working CD player and split fold down bench (what I wanted). Silver with the black front grill

Couldn't find any good deals up here by DC, so I went down to "Ol Mis".

Was able to negotiate 4 new tires (265/70/17) and the 120,000 mile factory recommended service.

Drove the 950 miles home last night, straight through, left at 7pm Miss time and arrived at noon today in the Virginia DC suburbs

She ran smooth. Had the edge insight plugged in the whole way.

ECT ran 188 - 192 the whole way (had it steady at 70mph with minor tweaks using the MPG Coach).

EOT ran 197 - 201 the whole way. for about 90% of the trip it was a 7 degree difference (192 / 199).

TFT ran 178 the whole way, and EGT never spiked above 800, mostly down in the 500 - 650 range.

Only 2 real issues. She has a mild radiator leak we discovered just before they pulled it off the bay (it was a trade in that had been fleet maintained at that dealer all it;s life). She was 2 gallons low when taken in for the service and started leaking just as we got ready to leave after having been re-filled. It doesn't seem to leak much more than the 1.5 to 2 gallons though, ans hold steady at that point.

Dealership was straight and fair with me. Even though the ink was already dry, they knocked a big chunk off the price and refunded to me direct since it was too late to repair or replace the radiator and I needed to leave pronto.

So I stopped and topped off the coolant every 150 - 200 miles. They even gave me 2 gallons of Ford OEM coolant (I know, it has issues, but beggars can't be choosers), and 3 gallons of water, and I used about 3 1/2 of those in filling the reservoir on the way back.

I know the '08's had radiator leak issues, but this truck has 131k miles, and had already had a radiator replacement according to Oasis.

Any of you have experience with that type issue? leak is on driver side, on the side of the main radiator panel. Can't see it directly, but leaking down onto the 2 radiator hoses coming from the reservoir to the small front panel on the front left

Seems manageable in the short term with top offs, but long term, can this be patched? can you use the radiator repair kits that put stuff in the coolant to clog the hole without damaging the truck?

Other problem is cracked front windshield they did not have time to repair, but got me some credit for it as well. Looking to find one from a salvage yard and get installed.

All in all, very happy with the truck, and glad to join your ranks.

Oh, and if anyone is looking to buy from a dealership in the southeast, I can STRONGLY recommend Gray-Daniels Ford just outside Jackson, Mississippi.

Talk to Steve Jahlbert, the internet sales guy. He's straight up honest, and when they realized the truck had a driveability issue and I was going 900 miles, they ended up giving it to me at a loss to their profit in order to be fair.

Good team, and Steve is a straight shooter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 05:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How do these numbers look? All of the numbers are irrelevant because you forgot to post up the most important number, how much did you pay for it?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:28 PM

You should be able to get a replacement windshield for a decent price without having to source one from a junk yard.

P.S. Mississippi is not Southeast!

Sorry to hear the dealer decided not to fix the problems before selling you the truck.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:42 PM

he was willing, but it had already been in the shop all day getting the new tires and the 120k service. In order to have them work on the other issues, I'd have had to stay overnight - not an option as I had to be back to work.

The dealer was great, real stand-up crew.

And when your from Texas as I am originally, everything east of the Mississippi (which includes the state of..) is the SouthEast.

And in response to the other, my total was about $16,500 including the service and tires and credits for the other things there wasn't time to fix.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRecondo View Post
How do these numbers look? All of the numbers are irrelevant because you forgot to post up the most important number, how much did you pay for it?

Thanks Johnny,

I was mostly curious if others felt those guage numbers indicated solid good news or anything else.

after all credits and service, I paid about $16,500 out the door.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersecretsquirrel View Post
he was willing, but it had already been in the shop all day getting the new tires and the 120k service. In order to have them work on the other issues, I'd have had to stay overnight - not an option as I had to be back to work.

The dealer was great, real stand-up crew.

And when your from Texas as I am originally, everything east of the Mississippi (which includes the state of..) is the SouthEast.

And in response to the other, my total was about $16,500 including the service and tires and credits for the other things there wasn't time to fix.

What I mean is the vehicle should have never been offered for sale until the issues were fixed. I could understand if you buying the truck from some guy's front yard, but you bought from a dealer! Out of state! If I drove all that way and then all the way back, while feeding and bleeding my cooling system... I would not be as happy as you. And it takes very little time to replace a windshield... If you ever get the chance to watch someone do it, its a real eye opener...
Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersecretsquirrel View Post
cracked front windshield
I was quoted $175 for a replacement aftermarket windshield from a local glass shop. I've already spent close to half that on getting rock chips repaired. Tasca parts has OEM SD windshields for $200. Think you get a better product/higher quality glass with OEM compared to aftermarket glass based on past experiences.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:23 PM

I've noticed that on aftermarket windshields there is a significant loss in clarity wherever there is curvature. Go OEM or bust.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:53 PM

Hey congrats on the truck and price sounds close to me. Sometimes you have to bend a little to get it your way but if your happy that's all that matters. I had a oem windshield put in no probs that's the way to go
Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM
Serving Our Country!

after all credits and service, I paid about $16,500 out the door.[/QUOTE]

what year 6.4? unless i missed that somewhere? sounds like a heck of a price even with a few more issues to fix. i managed to fly to texas (from MT) and drive my 08 Lariat home, in 2008 for exactly $30,800 including fuel/airfair... and i thought "I" got a good deal. mine still booked yesterday for $29,800 (with very low miles though) so you probably got a very good deal i am guess??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.