ughh 6.4 problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2011, 10:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ughh 6.4 problems

first off hey guys, i picked up a 6.4 in august and am pretty unhappy with it this far, hopefully a few of you can help me.
it has a spartan tuner with everything up to the 310 aggressive tune, freakin awesome compared to my ol 12 valve (may she rest in piece), an i have a 5" straight pipe with no DPF.

with the tuner on the 310 tune drivin easy so i dont roast the trans i can maybe get 16-17 mpg's on stock it will get maybe 13... my cummins with a full gravity wagon would average 15 all fall, without the power i guess.
i use the truck on the farm so there is almost always a trailer on it fall an spring so this fall i didnt care about the milage thinkin it was because the trailers, but weithout its doing no better, also i have gone through 3 radiators the dealership cant tell me a damn thing an pretty much rape me everytime i go there...

any help is appriciated if i cant figure anything out im thinkin about tradin for a common rail 5.9 please no bashing i just want some awnsers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2011, 06:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Send a message via AIM to usafduramax Send a message via Skype™ to usafduramax
have you tried doing a ford delete?

jk did you do a egr delete
Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbad6.4 View Post
first off hey guys, i picked up a 6.4 in august and am pretty unhappy with it this far, hopefully a few of you can help me.
it has a spartan tuner with everything up to the 310 aggressive tune, freakin awesome compared to my ol 12 valve (may she rest in piece), an i have a 5" straight pipe with no DPF.

with the tuner on the 310 tune drivin easy so i dont roast the trans i can maybe get 16-17 mpg's on stock it will get maybe 13... my cummins with a full gravity wagon would average 15 all fall, without the power i guess.
i use the truck on the farm so there is almost always a trailer on it fall an spring so this fall i didnt care about the milage thinkin it was because the trailers, but weithout its doing no better, also i have gone through 3 radiators the dealership cant tell me a damn thing an pretty much rape me everytime i go there...

any help is appriciated if i cant figure anything out im thinkin about tradin for a common rail 5.9 please no bashing i just want some awnsers
Two completely different designs when speaking of engines, the inline will always give you more power to pull ( Lowend) than a V8. That said, power in a diesel is directly related to how much fuel you can burn... the 6.4 is very happy to burn fuel and make big power all day long. It is very hard not to turn big HP numbers driving. Keep speeds down, boost under 10PSI and fuel willlast a bit longer. Ideling is another way to kill fuel mileage on the 6.4.

You say no DPF , is the cat still installed?

Radiators.... they are $$$$, and the hose systems is screwy and pricy as well. The rig is a bit different from your old 12V and unfortunatly more technology = more money to fix.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:29 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to chihuahuaford
Have u tried tuning it down to the 275 or the 250 i get pretty good gas milage but i also baby it
But when i do haul cattle it does use up lots of diesel dont know y
Old 12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ive always been told ill get better milage on the big tune but ive tried them all this. ****ty mileage is killin me... i think my combine get better mileage then this
Old 12-29-2011, 11:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Big Tune means Big Fuel to make Big Power, couple that to a rig that has the aerodynamic properties of a Coke machine and that is what you get.

Add winter fuel....

Winter conditions.....

a big right foot.....

yep your combine wins..... but it is a little tough to parallel park in town.

Cheers

My 7.3 got 18mpg, my 6.0 got 20-22, my 6.4 ..... 16 but it does weigh 10,000#
Old 12-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

but arent these truck super defueled from the factory, ive always heard add fuel add mpgs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.