coolant flush info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 12:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
coolant flush info

Okay so i have searched on here and googled this and i have found alot of info but there are still a few questions i have. I am getting close to 200k on my truck and i want to flush and install a coolant filter. I have seen that flushing can cause the oil cooler to clog and i sure in the Heck dont want that to happen. So here are my questions.

Has anyone done a coolant flush and afterwards had the oil cooler get clogged?

Should i install the filter before or after the flush?

How do you do a coolant flush on a 6.4?

Can i switch to Cat elc?

While im installing the coolant filter should i do the egr delete to? (not to sure if this has anything to do with coolant)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 01:09 PM

Installing the coolant filter before the flush would be helpful, just expect to change in a new filter after the flush so order an extra.

With a proper flush you can switch to elc, just be sure to flush the system properly with restore/restore+. From another thread:

"The restore is to remove the coating that the stock coolant deposits onthe walls of the cooling system to help stop cavitation issues.
The restore+ is to remove rust scale build up in the system. You can use Ford VC-9 in place of the restore+ (you will need 2 quarts), there is no substitute that I know of for the restore product.
If you were to skip the restore, the elc style coolant could react chemically with the coating from the existing coolant, since it is a very different type and style.
If you were to skip the restore+, you would be leaving the rust scale in the cooling system. "

To do a proper flush takes takes a long long time, with several flush, run for an hour, flush, run for an hour, flush, run for an hour, flush etc. so put aside a full day and buy a ton of distilled water. You'll also need to catch the initial coolant + other chemicals so you'll need a large container (drum) to properly dispose of the fluids. There are several write-ups on doing proper coolant flushes.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:24 PM

I did read over this when i did my search and this is what scares me for clogging the oil cooler. Im going to go ahead and do it and hope for the best. I have kept researching even after this post and im going to order my coolant filter and 2 filters along with my egr delete and do those first before i do my flush. Now i still have two questions that should be easy to answer i think.

Can i run the Cat elc and what mixture?

How do you do a proper flush?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstroke_02 View Post
I did read over this when i did my search and this is what scares me for clogging the oil cooler. Im going to go ahead and do it and hope for the best. I have kept researching even after this post and im going to order my coolant filter and 2 filters along with my egr delete and do those first before i do my flush. Now i still have two questions that should be easy to answer i think.

Can i run the Cat elc and what mixture?

How do you do a proper flush?
i read those other flush posts also, i think the possible oil cooler clogging issue was if a flush machine was used.....this method is draining , filling, running , draining a bunch of times...
Old 12-29-2011, 05:40 AM

i did a flush with VC9 and a bunch of distilled water. I used ELC coolant and i used a 50/50 mix. Make sure you get the concentrate coolant and not the 50/50 mix.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
heres my flush for a 6.0. should still apply
Did Coolant Flush Today / writeup
Old 12-29-2011, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003kingranch View Post
heres my flush for a 6.0. should still apply
Did Coolant Flush Today / writeup
awesome write up thx
Old 12-29-2011, 06:11 AM

Would that work for a 6.4? I believe i have read this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.