6.0 to 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 to 6.4

Who all comes from a 6oh to now a 6.4 and can help me with some pro's and Con's? Looking at an 08. Love the interior but what about the engine and it's issues. I deleted and studded my 6oh For reliability, what all does the 6.4 need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 01:59 PM

I have a 6.0 and a 6.4. I work out of the 6.0 and my wife drives the 6.4 as grocery getter/mommy mobile. I bought the 6.4 with 19k miles on it, it was lifted new by a dealer. In the 10 months I have owned it, it's been to the shop(s) 5+ times for warranty work. New steering box, electric mirrors not working, multiple oil leaks including a rear main seal which was replaced last week. When my wife got the truck home it sounded like it was gonna fall apart. I crawled under it and found the dealer left the downpipe to exhaust joint loose, and one of the radius arm bolts loose, wtf? Truck has 29k on it. Biggest pos I have ever owned.

I bought my 6.0 with 100k knowing it was gonna need some TLC (egr delete, etc). I do all the work on it myself and really like the truck. It has 185k now and runs like a top.

I can only imagine what my repair bills are gonna be on the 6.4 after warranty.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:59 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchStroke View Post
Who all comes from a 6oh to now a 6.4 and can help me with some pro's and Con's? Looking at an 08. Love the interior but what about the engine and it's issues. I deleted and studded my 6oh For reliability, what all does the 6.4 need.
Delete the EGR and REgen system. Tune it. You will love how the 6.4 keeps pulling!

Both are GREAT motors when fixed!

Keep your 6L if possible! Unless there is a huge gain via price to the 6.4

Last edited by Galaxie; 12-25-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 02:47 PM

^^^^^^this is true. I'm just irritated with a "new" truck having so many problems, lol. I expected nonsense outta my 6.0 when I bought it(it has been surprisingly reliable, knock on wood) but this 08 I was hoping for 200k plus with no major issues like back in the day with the 7.3s.

Either truck should serve you well.
Old 12-25-2011, 03:39 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by willholl79 View Post
^^^^^^this is true. I'm just irritated with a "new" truck having so many problems, lol. I expected nonsense outta my 6.0 when I bought it(it has been surprisingly reliable, knock on wood) but this 08 I was hoping for 200k plus with no major issues like back in the day with the 7.3s.

Either truck should serve you well.
Yea, it's funny, so many issues with the 6.0..... Yet everyone I know with one hast had issues. Heck, technically my 7.3 had more issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 12-26-2011, 08:56 AM

For some words of comfort, I owned a 2006 and the only thing that I had probems with on it was in the winter time, I jelled up a few times. But I fixed it with getting fuel from ND instead of MN. I never had luck with the bio diesel in the winter time. As far as engine issues... not a single one. Id still have that truck if my friend didnt accidently roll it. now I have a 2010 and once again, no issues at all. I did delete and run a minimax tuner on it. Got sick of the reigns and the poor fuel milage. They are both great trucks in my opinion. Maybe I just got luck with buying them. They were both brand new when I got them.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

EGR/EPF delete and call it done from a reliability stand point. I have 171K trouble free and fully deleted miles. I got a little carried away though and did a VGT delete too LoL.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by RanchStroke View Post
I went from an 04 6.0 to a 10 6.4... wish I would have kept the 6.0 to be honest.. I had way too many reoccurring problems for me to like the 6.4.. Bed plate seals are prone to leak, mine did it twice, in less than 6000 miles. First leak starting at about 700 miles.. Then I had two seperate fuel injection issues, that the dealer was unable to remedy. It almost left me stranded in Oregon.

Ford paid it off in full, with zero negative equity to roll over, and sold me a 2011 with the 6.7 at a decent price. Id stay away from the 6.4, unless you have $$$$ to modify it and pay fro repairs.. JMO
Old 12-26-2011, 02:35 PM

Not what I expected. I really like the interior compared to my 06.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:27 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have an 07, my wife has a '10. I love my 07, but wish it had the 08+ interior. Both are lariats and my wife's truck is so much nicer inside. Plus, the power from the basic upgrades(tuner, intake, exhaust) comparison is night and day. the 6.0 is topped out at around 430 hp with the basics, the 6.4 is around 575-600hp with the basics and get the same mileage.

Both have been great trucks so far. The turbo oil seal went out on mine after a couple months(we know what causes that). fixed that. Ever since, been trouble free and love it more and more everyday.

My wife's truck has had zero issues other than fuel mileage. Her right foot is the main culprit, I suspect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.