Time for a 6 speed 450. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 03:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Time for a 6 speed 450.

Looking to swap/buy/trade/etc a Auto 5R110 for a ZF 6 speed manual. Not to many good ZF 6.4 boxes around. any leads would be welcome.

I know the 7.3 is different from the 6.0 bell and 05 and up uses a 34 spline output shaft vs the 32. I do not ( But assume they are ) if the 6.4 bell is different from the 6.0 motor.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 04:59 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I think they are the same but am not sure on that.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First post on this site, I'm pretty sure your looking to swap the gearbox not the truck; however, I do know of a 08 f450 Lariat at a Ford/Kia dealership by me that has a manual. Relative to an auto I think it's fairly cheap as the salesman I was talking to said everyone walks when they see it's a manual. It's a June 07 build with the 4.88 gears but looked to be in great shape. It's been sitting on their lot for a while so I'm guessing their willing to deal. If anyone is interested I will pass on the info to you. I have no skin in the game as I was just getting my wife's car serviced there and was browsing for things I want but can't afford.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

a buddy of mine has an 08 CC LB diesel with the 6 speed ... he says when his truck goes into regen.. he has no power.. and takes forever to get the truck moving.. he says he hates it.. he loves manual trucks.. but will never buy another one as long as its regening and the dpf is still on.. just thought i would throw it out there..
Old 12-21-2011, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmchicago View Post
First post on this site, I'm pretty sure your looking to swap the gearbox not the truck; however, I do know of a 08 f450 Lariat at a Ford/Kia dealership by me that has a manual. Relative to an auto I think it's fairly cheap as the salesman I was talking to said everyone walks when they see it's a manual. It's a June 07 build with the 4.88 gears but looked to be in great shape. It's been sitting on their lot for a while so I'm guessing their willing to deal. If anyone is interested I will pass on the info to you. I have no skin in the game as I was just getting my wife's car serviced there and was browsing for things I want but can't afford.
Welcome to the madness. You might want to look at the laundry list of stuff I have done to my ride ( signiture lines) I would be willing to swap for another but only if it had most of the mods I have made.
I really am looking for a ZF 6 speed manual to install in my current ride. The auto is frustrating to say the least. 10,000 pounds of truck that you can't slow by the transmission. Found this out the first day i came to a stoplight and the truck effectivly disengaged the transmission from 4th on down. The one way clutch idea is crap when you haul a heavy load all of your stopping power is on the brakes. Yes there is the tow haul mode, with a tune loaded that is pretty rough on the transmission as well when shifting to 4th and then 3rd to a stop. Never mind coming down a big hill and the trans downshifts to 3rd from OD and will not up shift again untill you put lots of boot in it. Not very controlable IMHO.

Finding someone to tune the transmission has not panned out. So I am going back to what I know works the manual transmission. I have had Ford check and service the transmission it is in great shape according to them and for the most part works well unladen.

The added benifit is the ZF gear box will slow me down some, with the 5r110 and 500hp at the rear wheels it is way to easy to jump up to 80mph or spin those Michilens trying to get there.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballn2 View Post
a buddy of mine has an 08 CC LB diesel with the 6 speed ... he says when his truck goes into regen.. he has no power.. and takes forever to get the truck moving.. he says he hates it.. he loves manual trucks.. but will never buy another one as long as its regening and the dpf is still on.. just thought i would throw it out there..
Same with my 5R110 when it was stock.... After a trip to Rudy's that problem was resolved. Now the issue is how to keep my big boot off the loud pedal, Cruise Control helps a lot.

Last edited by MD05; 12-21-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:47 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Try calling the dealer and seeing if they will let you swap trannies just to help sell the truck.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:36 AM

I have been waiting to upgrade my 5r110 with hopes of a good deal on a ZF6 falling into my lap. I have come to the conclusion that the only feasible way would be to either buy a complete wrecked truck, use what you need and sell the rest. Or find a junk yard that has a wrecked one willing to sell all the parts you need. Its a lot more than the trans, clutch, and pedals. THe center of the floor needs to be changed as its too low. Wire harness, ect.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ipkyss View Post
I have been waiting Its a lot more than the trans, clutch, and pedals. THe center of the floor needs to be changed as its too low. Wire harness, ect.
I am trying to wrap my head around the floor issue. My 450 has the provision for the Floor mounted shift lever and what looks like the spot where the shifter comes thru the floor as well. I find it had to believe that there are two different style of cab floors up to 2010 since they still offered the ZF 6 speed as an option I could be wrong. It just doesn't make sense from a manufacturing standpoint.
I can understand the 2011 since there is no option for a manual tranny.

As to what is required... working on the laundry list of items to address, the trans, T-case, flywheel pedals are the easy stuff. I figure that there is a PCM change, wiring harness for the PCM/pedals, dashboard stuff etc. Need to start a spreadsheet for this mod.

Good news is I am on a tuner already that accepts a manual trnsmission option.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:19 AM

I am not sure if the f-450 is different. But I know on my truck I have to change the transmission tunnel to fit the ZF6. One of the things that seems like a headache...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.