Buying used '08, need help deciding upgrades / tuner. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Buying used '08, need help deciding upgrades / tuner.

Hi all.

I've been reading Powerstroke forums for about a month now, looking to buy a usd PSD, and have learned a ton - thanks.

Now I need your wise advice.

I'm looking strongly at a used F-250 '08 crew 4x4 w/185k miles & I'm going to test drive this weekend.

My questions for you are based on what I'm looking for in this truck.

I don't want to race or off-road or jack the power.

This truck will be a commuter vehicle / construction truck / family hauler (6 seats required)

I want to get a truck I can keep running for the next 10 years, which is why I looked to the '08n and not older ones. I figure I can replace parts as long as the frame and body hold up.

I just need longer life and better mileage.
Obviously, that means first priority is a DPF delete. (I live in VA, so no emissions test on this truck).

I bought a new Edge Insight CTS to use in evaluating the trucks I drive.

If I do the DPF delete, what tuner/tunes will I need if all I want is to monitor health of the truck and improve mileage?

Will the insight be useless? Should I return it and get a different edge device? (I like the touch screen and display). Or something else to run the tune and use the insight to monitor? Is that even possible?

Another factor is that I plan to install a vegistroke system in the truck - I have a line on a good source of WVO, and want to get down to near self-sufficiency.

Is there a tuner needed for that / would the insight be useful / balanced against the above factors?

Lastly, what warning signs (other than the obvious ECT / EOT delta and tran temp) should I be looking for when I test drive a 6.4l with that many miles on it? Carfax says it had regular service full life, and most of that was southern states so no rust. What should I watch for? What are the high mileage issues on the 6.4l

It's a crucial investment for my family, so I thank you all for your time and advice.

Regards -

Ben
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have a OASIS report ran on the truck so you know what has all been done to it in the shop. That is alot of miles for a 08 but hey i have that many.

Full 5" exhaust is what i would do if it was me

S&B or AFE cold air intake

H&S or spartan tuner with these tuners you can monitor everything you need to
Old 12-16-2011, 07:40 AM

Try and get an oasis as suggested. Also, take a look at the engine compartment and look for possible coolant leaks. Drain the water separator to see if it's functional, clogged or not draining could mean it's never been drained. Take a look at the exhaust system bolts to see if they have had tools on them, could be previous owner had a large HP tune on prior to trying to sell so you may not know how it was treated.

If your not looking for huge power or cost, you could look at a DPF-R+. Respectable economy levels and no regen function to worry about. Other then a deeper sound, the 5in won't benefit you unless your pushing huge HP numbers so if your looking to save some money go 4in and a CAI.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:53 AM

you want to get 10 more years out of a truck that already has 185,000 miles on it? these trucks are expensive to fix, with that kind of mileage everything is going to be wearing out, unless you are a professional mechanic i would choose a vehicle that is cheaper to operate and repair......Honda mini van or the like.. IMO
Old 12-16-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
you want to get 10 more years out of a truck that already has 185,000 miles on it? these trucks are expensive to fix, with that kind of mileage everything is going to be wearing out, unless you are a professional mechanic i would choose a vehicle that is cheaper to operate and repair......Honda mini van or the like.. IMO
Ouch.. well, I suppose if you don't know my situation, you might think that.

I'm getting ready to start construction on my family's new home. I'm my own general contractor and most of my own labor.

Over the next 18 months, I need a heavy duty truck to hall skidsteers and pallets of sod and lumber etc. Once built, we're also gonna have a few horses, so need something capable of hauling the trailer.

Not cost effective to rent every time I need a truck.

By trading in my current commuter, I'll be spending less than $10K out of pocket for this truck - including the DPF delete.

I can't run a vegisystem on a Honda, nor can I pull trailers with backhoes or dump trailers to the landfill.

But since it'll be my only vehicle, I gotta get the best mileage I can, and I gotta seat all 6 of us.

I'm not a performance enthusiast, but everything I've read indicates a lot of the previous gen's of PSD's are lasting 500k or more if taken care of.

I'm not gonna be pulling crazy miles on this truck. Maybe 20k per year at most, hence my hope to make it last if I take care of it and don't try to jack up the power.

Even if I have to replace an engine 5 years down the road, as long as the basic truck is lasting, that's much less cost than a new vehicle.

My biggest concern is learning the most I can about what works and what doesn't for maximizing life of the engine and other components, and maximizing mileage.

But I do appreciate the feedback.

Ben
Old 12-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
Try and get an oasis as suggested. Also, take a look at the engine compartment and look for possible coolant leaks. Drain the water separator to see if it's functional, clogged or not draining could mean it's never been drained. Take a look at the exhaust system bolts to see if they have had tools on them, could be previous owner had a large HP tune on prior to trying to sell so you may not know how it was treated.

If your not looking for huge power or cost, you could look at a DPF-R+. Respectable economy levels and no regen function to worry about. Other then a deeper sound, the 5in won't benefit you unless your pushing huge HP numbers so if your looking to save some money go 4in and a CAI.
Thanks! That was one one of my next questions, being that I am new to the diesel arena, what is the respective value of the various exhaust options?

I looked at one web-site selling the spartan DPF delete kits, and saw everything from 3 inch to 5 inch and different configurations.

Can anyone educate a newby on all the various exhaust options and their benefits / drawbacks?
Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersecretsquirrel View Post
Ouch.. well, I suppose if you don't know my situation, you might think that.

I'm getting ready to start construction on my family's new home. I'm my own general contractor and most of my own labor.

Over the next 18 months, I need a heavy duty truck to hall skidsteers and pallets of sod and lumber etc. Once built, we're also gonna have a few horses, so need something capable of hauling the trailer.

Not cost effective to rent every time I need a truck.

By trading in my current commuter, I'll be spending less than $10K out of pocket for this truck - including the DPF delete.

I can't run a vegisystem on a Honda, nor can I pull trailers with backhoes or dump trailers to the landfill.

But since it'll be my only vehicle, I gotta get the best mileage I can, and I gotta seat all 6 of us.

I'm not a performance enthusiast, but everything I've read indicates a lot of the previous gen's of PSD's are lasting 500k or more if taken care of.

I'm not gonna be pulling crazy miles on this truck. Maybe 20k per year at most, hence my hope to make it last if I take care of it and don't try to jack up the power.

Even if I have to replace an engine 5 years down the road, as long as the basic truck is lasting, that's much less cost than a new vehicle.

My biggest concern is learning the most I can about what works and what doesn't for maximizing life of the engine and other components, and maximizing mileage.

But I do appreciate the feedback.

Ben
wasn't intending to knock on you,,, just saying a vehicle with that many miles, no matter the brand, makes me real nervous is all.....i still might consider a 7.3 then... i think parts are cheaper... good luck
Old 12-16-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersecretsquirrel View Post
Thanks! That was one one of my next questions, being that I am new to the diesel arena, what is the respective value of the various exhaust options?

I looked at one web-site selling the spartan DPF delete kits, and saw everything from 3 inch to 5 inch and different configurations.

Can anyone educate a newby on all the various exhaust options and their benefits / drawbacks?
An exhaust system that is too small for the engine will cause restrictions and too much back pressure which can cause you to lose power and efficiency. Whereas an exhaust system that is too large for your engine won't allow for enough back pressure and can cause you to lose power and efficiency. This is the case with the 3in and 5in respectively.

In most cases, people are choosing their exhaust systems based on sound, 3in would result in a higher pitched sound where as a 5in would be a deeper sound. The stock system is actually pretty close to 4in, so going with a 4in system won't harm or hurt you in any way based on what it sounds like you want to do with the vehicle. Doesn't sound like your out to run 10-11s quarter miles, you just want to keep it reliable and performing well.

For the best performance/mileage and power, if you decide to go that route, you will want something that removes both the CAT and the DPF with a tuner that turns off the regen function.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
wasn't intending to knock on you,,, just saying a vehicle with that many miles, no matter the brand, makes me real nervous is all.....i still might consider a 7.3 then... i think parts are cheaper... good luck
Injekter1,

I forgot to stick in a smily. I wasn't really bent out of shape, and like I said, without knowing my situation, I could see that as a reasonable querry.

My concern with the 7.3 is, they all have over 200k miles anyway, but then the frame and other parts have another 5+ years of wear, and everything is that much older (older it gets, harder to find parts).

I'd rather go newer truck - higher mileage than older truck higher mileage.

And I really want to stay away from the 6.0 if possible.

I've also read a lot of really great stuff about the 6.4 engine, and it just really appeals to me, plus I love the updated look.

But I may have lost the opportunity anyway, so it may not matter. dealer may have double-promised the truck.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotrs View Post
An exhaust system that is too small for the engine will cause restrictions and too much back pressure which can cause you to lose power and efficiency. Whereas an exhaust system that is too large for your engine won't allow for enough back pressure and can cause you to lose power and efficiency. This is the case with the 3in and 5in respectively.

In most cases, people are choosing their exhaust systems based on sound, 3in would result in a higher pitched sound where as a 5in would be a deeper sound. The stock system is actually pretty close to 4in, so going with a 4in system won't harm or hurt you in any way based on what it sounds like you want to do with the vehicle. Doesn't sound like your out to run 10-11s quarter miles, you just want to keep it reliable and performing well.

For the best performance/mileage and power, if you decide to go that route, you will want something that removes both the CAT and the DPF with a tuner that turns off the regen function.
Shaun,

Thanks again! Next question, what is the CAT, and what about an EGR delete? I read a number of threads that suggested that an EGR delete was also a good idea and would also improve mileage and overall life since it would reduce the sooty air going into the injectors.

I'm in VA and we don't do emissions tests on diesel vehicles over 8500 GVWR, so not worried about EPA legality...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.