first trip in our powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 03:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
first trip in our powerstroke

well the wife and me are taking our first longer trip in our f350. Going from Florida to NYC for xmas. Never really driven in the snow before. is there anything i need to do like bag my tires or anything crazy?thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2011, 04:56 AM
Premium Member

check all fluids before you leave out.. check tire pressures.. keep the speeds around or just under 71/72 (thats where i get my best mileage) and let us know how ur mileage is when you return.. Careful in the snow.. take your time, you shouldn't need to do anything special to your tires.. just make sure they have the correct pressure in them..
Old 12-14-2011, 05:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't drive crazy in the snow and make slow deliberate corrections to the steering and throttle.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If the roads are free of snow/ice/slush, no worries. If you do have to drive on roads that are covered, something I learned years ago may help. Drive like you have an open bottle of grape soda on your dash. You don't want to spill sticky grape soda all over, so your steering, brake, and acceleration inputs will be slow, deliberate, and gradual.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 AM

go to Home Depot,,,, get yourself some bagged sand,,,,300-400 lbs... put that in the bed over the rear axle....
Old 12-14-2011, 07:51 AM

thanks for the info guys.. and i got a 100 gallon fuel tank that will be full on the way up so that should cover by 400lbs and then some of weight in the bed.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:33 AM

Make sure you get a good ice scraper. Those little "cheap" looking ones that are just a scraper on a handle for usually under $2 work great (especially for the mirrors), the long handle ones suck for ice, but work good for pushing off snow. How are your tires? Bad tires and snow don't mix well. As others have said, go slow if you have to, you'll pass the people that were going 20+ mph faster than you later... when they're in a ditch.

If you get get into a few inches of snow/slush, go find a big parking lot. Make sure no one is around, or light poles, curbs, ect... Make some tight turns, see what it takes to get it to slide. The first snow with mine surprised me a little bit. I kept hearing how easy a dually will "float" on the snow. My back tires are "decent" but probably won't make it another winter. In 2-4" of slushy snow, I had no problems keeping up with traffic in 2wd. No weight in the bed. Just make turns slow. I did need 4wd twice, but both times it was to get up our driveway. (steep, paved, and covered in ice)
Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM

As others have said, take it slow and easy. Make sure all fluids are good and you have good tires. Put some extra weight in the back. Bagged sand is an excellent choice for this because should you get stuck, say on an uphill grade or something, you'll have the sand to throw down for traction.

A couple of other items to throw in...a shovel in case you need to dig out of something, and an extension cord for the block heater (if you have one). You'd be surprised how many friends, relatives, or hotels don't have an adequate extension cord you could borrow.

Have a safe trip.

Wayne

Last edited by cp2146; 12-14-2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Nyc, you have nothing to worry about, you wont see snow. Took my f350 to mi last month, 2400 miles in 7 days and got 14.3mpg doing 80+ on highway....all stock btw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.