Slider Fifth Wheel Hitches - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 05:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Slider Fifth Wheel Hitches

Would those of you towing 5th wheels with your short box 08s please share What hitch you picked.
Why you picked it.
How you like it?
WHere can you get the best deal on hitches that fit this truck?
Any pictures of the underside mounting brackets in place?

I spent so much on the truck and trailer that now I am trying to save on the little things. Silly huh? I really liked the self adjusting cam operated units I saw on a matched pair of F250s pulling big Montana trailers a couple of weeks ago.
Any other advice about towing heavy loads would be appreciated also.

Thanks in Advance for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

I would personally recomend the B & W gooseneck turn-over ball with the Companion 5r adapter. I work for a trailer shop here in Colorado, I have to go pick up and deliver trailers all the time. The gooseneck hith bolts to the frame in about six places. If you need the 5r, you simply pull a pin, lift out the ball, and drop in the companion. The adapter is adujustable ....... The best part is that there are no rails in the bed.... If you remove the Companion, drop the ball upside down, you have a flat bed with nothing for stuff to hang up on....

Heres the link..... Jayhawk Trailers | Colorados #1 Trailer Source
Old 09-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mine's an 05 but I'll share some insight on my hitch selection. Husky 16k manual slider. Works great, rails work well with my air bags, slider is easy to operate, and I have an extended pin box on the 5er, so this will only be used when operating in very tight quarters. I also wouldn't tow anything without a trailer brake controller and I swear by the Prodigy unit! I have no experience with the Tow Command on the Super Duty's, so can't comment on that. Also, know your capacities and verify your GVWR prior to looking at trailers. It will save you some heartache down the road... Let me know if you would like additional info!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

PullRite has a SAFER, STRONGER, BETTER designed hitch for you

I love it and am glad I spent the money as I don't have to worry about getting out and sliding the hitch back when I get into tight spots (gas station or parking lot getting food at whatever destination I'm at). I can jackknife without worry.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:06 AM

I do not personally have one because I have a long box, but I have many camping buddies that have short beds and they all have the Pullrite! A couple of them don't even have extended pin boxes(on trailer) and they can get into as tight of spots as I can!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Mine's an 05 but I'll share some insight on my hitch selection. Husky 16k manual slider. Works great, rails work well with my air bags, slider is easy to operate, and I have an extended pin box on the 5er, so this will only be used when operating in very tight quarters. I also wouldn't tow anything without a trailer brake controller and I swear by the Prodigy unit! I have no experience with the Tow Command on the Super Duty's, so can't comment on that. Also, know your capacities and verify your GVWR prior to looking at trailers. It will save you some heartache down the road... Let me know if you would like additional info!

I do like the concept of the cammed auto sliders but OUCH, $2500... Me thinkst they can keep it for that money...

I too use the Husky 16k manual slider and agree that it works flawlessly and easily... Mine has the frame rail kit that leaves nothing in the bed of the truck but 4 holes when the hitch is removed (they have plugs for the holes of course)....

My trailer is 10.5k completely empty (i.e. not propane tanks or batteries) so it's pretty heavy when we are ready to rock and roll... I'm towing with an '06 6.0 with 3.73 gears with no problems.. Just keep in mind the gross combined vehicle weight should not be exceeded (in other words just keep things safe by avoiding being overweight)... The Tow Command simply works perfectly, don't know what else to say about that.... Also, I have no extended pin box and have never come close to the cab... Note here that when backing up it is possible to jackknife so you can in fact come in contact with the cab.. I've never even come close to the cab when moving forward with the hitch all the way towards the front (these trucks don't turn sharp enough for that to happen)...

Ken....
Old 09-06-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forddieseltweek View Post
I would personally recomend the B & W gooseneck turn-over ball with the Companion 5r adapter. I work for a trailer shop here in Colorado, I have to go pick up and deliver trailers all the time. The gooseneck hith bolts to the frame in about six places. If you need the 5r, you simply pull a pin, lift out the ball, and drop in the companion. The adapter is adujustable ....... The best part is that there are no rails in the bed.... If you remove the Companion, drop the ball upside down, you have a flat bed with nothing for stuff to hang up on....

Heres the link..... Jayhawk Trailers | Colorados #1 Trailer Source
I have the same hitch and companion.......the best thing is no rails...I love it and recommend it!!!
Old 09-06-2007, 05:14 PM

I got so lucky, I picked up the pullrite used for a year or so still brand new for 1000.00 bucks, with the extra 400 dollar quick removal rails. I couldn't believe it. Comes out complete, with no rails, nothing, just four little holes where the pins sit, even the mounting brackets were basic to install, no welding just drilled one extra hole on each side, bolted right up. It's expensive yes, but if you can swing it, it's the best short box hitch out there.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:57 PM

Thanx

I saw one today and it looked good.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Mine's an 05 but I'll share some insight on my hitch selection. Husky 16k manual slider. Works great, rails work well with my air bags, slider is easy to operate, and I have an extended pin box on the 5er, so this will only be used when operating in very tight quarters.

Thanks for posting about your hitch. Based on the rv dealer's recommendation, I'm going with the Husky (actually a Valley) 16k manual slider (glider slide attachment). I'm also considering the Firestone air bags as well. From what I understand, they don't require any drilling, but we'll see if I need them or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.