Towing Heavy! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Towing Heavy!

Hey Guys,
I got a 2008 Ford F250 6.4l Diesel and I'm gonna be towing around 15k total from Mass-NJ. About a 3 hour ride. The trailer is a gooseneck and I'm wondering how my f250 is going to like the weight. What should i do to make it better. (if anything) tips and advice is appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 01:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I can't speak for the 6.4 specifically but add some airbags and check the brakes on the truck and trailer thoroughly.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the info... I know my truck is going to be illegal towing it... Should i still do it? What are the risk of getting caught. Any advice guys would be helpful... This is a gooseneck
Old 12-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If your truck is illegal towing it, short answer is no, you shouldn't tow it. As for risks of getting caught, I'm not sure about where you're driving but here, because of the Christmas season, the police have started to do daytime Check Stops several times a week in addition to evening Check Stops. If you get stopped/pulled over at one of these and there is a cop or DOT officer that knows the rules, you can be screwed. If you can, maybe split the load up into two trips to stay legal.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
If your truck is illegal towing it, short answer is no, you shouldn't tow it. As for risks of getting caught, I'm not sure about where you're driving but here, because of the Christmas season, the police have started to do daytime Check Stops several times a week in addition to evening Check Stops. If you get stopped/pulled over at one of these and there is a cop or DOT officer that knows the rules, you can be screwed. If you can, maybe split the load up into two trips to stay legal.
Thats the thing its a vehicle I'm towing. Its a single axle truck... I mean it could pass for a large pick up but the weight of it is about 12k. Then the weight of the gooseneck... So between 14-15k. Im about 4-5k over what I'm legally aloud to tow. Im not over the GCRW, but over on towing if i looked at the chart correctly.

Tom
Old 12-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Premium Member

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp19Aug07.pdf

This says I'm aloud to tow 15,200? If so then I'm just a tad under, or dead even... Correct?

Tom
Old 12-11-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkobes43 View Post
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...trp19Aug07.pdf

This says I'm aloud to tow 15,200? If so then I'm just a tad under, or dead even... Correct?

Tom
looks good to me,
Old 12-12-2011, 03:25 AM

the way i understand it.....if they think you look overweight and want to check you they will have a set of scales or send you to a set of scales. as long as your truck tires are E rated [like 3400lbs each] and your truck axle rating is not over exceeded i think you will be fine....think the F250 HAS 6800lb axles ....the p.i.n. wt. on the goosenek ball is what counts...plus of course the trailer cant be overloaded.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muntu View Post
the way i understand it.....if they think you look overweight and want to check you they will have a set of scales or send you to a set of scales. as long as your truck tires are E rated [like 3400lbs each] and your truck axle rating is not over exceeded i think you will be fine....think the F250 HAS 6800lb axles ....the p.i.n. wt. on the goosenek ball is what counts...plus of course the trailer cant be overloaded.
Where would i be able to find my axle rating, along with tire rating. Im going to go to ford today just to make sure its 15,200. Also whats the p.i.n wt? The trailer will definitely be under weight. Would you recommend putting a light bar on my truck for added safty for drivers? Any advice is appreciated to make the treck alot safer...

Thanks guys

Tom
Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkobes43 View Post
Where would i be able to find my axle rating, along with tire rating. Im going to go to ford today just to make sure its 15,200. Also whats the p.i.n wt? The trailer will definitely be under weight. Would you recommend putting a light bar on my truck for added safty for drivers? Any advice is appreciated to make the treck alot safer...

Thanks guys

Tom
DON'T THINK you could see the light bar with the trailer on... pin weight is the same as tongue weight for a bumper trailer... pin weight should be listed on the trailer itself.. fyi....your truck will do fine.....im not sure where some of you are from, but it sounds like it must be Russia or something.....i have never seen anyone pull over a travel trailer or fifth wheel and check them out for towing load ratings.....i used to travel with a 25' trailer towed by my explorer.....never was an issue... some seem to be a little "prissy" in there comments about this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.