How many times does it take!!!!!!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry How many times does it take!!!!!!!!!!

This will be the 4th time in less than two weeks to the dealer for the same leaking coolant issue,everytime they say its resolved once again back,the last excuse was a loose clamp at the egr cooler,what do I do next?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 AM
duct tape & zip ties

Send a message via Yahoo to bigcountrysg
fix it yourself
Old 12-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I guess as many times as it takes or try a different dealer.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
I guess as many times as it takes or try a different dealer.
Or get something more reliable like a Chevy or a Dodge.

Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face.

Seriously though, I would try a different dealer for any future issues if it things continue to happen.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERYDAY J View Post
This will be the 4th time in less than two weeks to the dealer for the same leaking coolant issue,everytime they say its resolved once again back,the last excuse was a loose clamp at the egr cooler,what do I do next?
Not sure if this will help you or not since I'd like to think the dealer would know...but I just went through a coolant leak issue. Changed fuel filters and noticed dry coolant on the font axle, on my steering stabilizer, pitman arm, egr cooler, etc...I freaked. Waited a day, went back out and started from the top and found the issue...small leak at the upper thermostat housing / upper radiator hose. I did some research and realized that I had an "old" upper radiator hose (hard plastic is black, revised one is white = 2 o-rings) which only has 1 o-ring. Went to ford, bought 2 o-rings (1 for each end of hose), 1 clip, and 1 jug of coolant. Took 15 mins, replaced o-ring, and been fine ever since...Good luck
Old 12-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Double o-ring upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog760 View Post
Not sure if this will help you or not since I'd like to think the dealer would know...but I just went through a coolant leak issue. Changed fuel filters and noticed dry coolant on the font axle, on my steering stabilizer, pitman arm, egr cooler, etc...I freaked. Waited a day, went back out and started from the top and found the issue...small leak at the upper thermostat housing / upper radiator hose. I did some research and realized that I had an "old" upper radiator hose (hard plastic is black, revised one is white = 2 o-rings) which only has 1 o-ring. Went to ford, bought 2 o-rings (1 for each end of hose), 1 clip, and 1 jug of coolant. Took 15 mins, replaced o-ring, and been fine ever since...Good luck
Can you elaborate a little. I know that I still have the "old" radiator hoses and would like to upgrade sometime. Are you saying that if I want the better (newer) setup, I don' need new hoses, just additional o-rings and the new clips? Or am I mis-understanding?
Old 12-13-2011, 09:23 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SuperDiesel View Post
Can you elaborate a little. I know that I still have the "old" radiator hoses and would like to upgrade sometime. Are you saying that if I want the better (newer) setup, I don' need new hoses, just additional o-rings and the new clips? Or am I mis-understanding?
Sorry for being a little vague...I too have the older hose. You can upgrade to the newer version (white hard plastic end) which has 2 o-rings inside versus the 1 o-ring that you and I have. All I did was replace the 1 o-ring (part #8590A) on each end of my existing hose and the metal clip (part #8B365A) at the thermostat housing + coolant of course. Worked fine for me, no more leak. I've been researching the need for a coolant filter and ended up ordering one just for piece of mind. There's rumors and ideas that there might be mill sand leftover and circulating + the issue of all the "Gold" coolant and "particles" it seems to produce as I see it in my degas.

If you want to just upgrade the hose, it's $85 (part #8260)....I spent $35 and was done, but I'm cheap like that....like to put my $ towards mods

Last edited by jaydog760; 12-13-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:30 AM

Thank you I appreciate the detailed reply. I am also looking at the coolant flush and change to the ec-1. I should get gauges and a coolant filter in my hands first.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SuperDiesel View Post
Thank you I appreciate the detailed reply. I am also looking at the coolant flush and change to the ec-1. I should get gauges and a coolant filter in my hands first.
No prob...glad to help (hope it helps). I too am thinking about switching to CAT coolant, probably should when I do this filter install.

When I replaced my o-rings, I had a hard time getting to the upper thermostat housing and getting a good grip on the hose. I ended up pulling the upper intercooler pipe out of its boot to get a good grip. The clip was also hard to get to, so I just yanked on the clip and pulled it out (which is why I bought another one). Pulled the entire hose off, cleaned the inner lips on both ends, replaced o-rings on both ends (just in case), and then put in the new clip. You put both clips in and slide the hose onto the housing and they "click" into place when on right...goodluck, let me know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.