Power stroke or stick with Cummins - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power stroke or stick with Cummins

I was looking for a powerstroke(6.0 was the only motor then) but good a good deal on a 05 dodge w/Cummins. I'm glad I didnt get the 6.0 with all the problems. Now it has 142K on the clock. Its been good till now. A/C compressor,front hubs, and now injectors. A full set is $3,000. Thats diving into more credit cards for me. I have always been a Ford guy. (Mustangs,Lightnings,and F150's).
I think I could afford a used 08 but I just dont want more problems. I need a diesel to tow my camper around.
How reliable are these 6.4?
Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The oil cooler in the 6.4 are the same design has the 6.0.

The problem is the ford gold coolant sludges up under high heat which clogs up everything.

When the oil cooler becomes retricted the cooler can not cool the oil enough. Which then can't cool the pistons which then creates high combustion temps. Which then heates up the head bolts which causes them to expand and then head gaskets blow out from the expanded head bolts. Another is once the oil cooler is restricted the egr cooler can't get enough coolant which causes the egr cooler to blow. When the egr cooler blows you could hydrolock your engine from coolant getting your engine when you shut down you truck. An egr cooler that is blow will also cause coolant system to build up pressure and blow out the degas bottle cap.

Another thing to think about is getting rid of the regen process. The regen will cause your turbo to go out. The extremely hot exhaust gas that is pushed threw the turbo during the regen will cause the seals to go out which causes the turbo to go out. The regen can also burn up the pistons. If fuel leaks past the rings and gets into the oil can cause a bunch of other bad problems.

So get rid of FORD GOLD COOLANT and keep your coolant system very clean. I would highly reccomend getting some cat elc coolant which is ec-1 rated. I would then delete you egr cooler if you can and if not get a bullet proof one. I would also get tunner to get rid of your regen process and do a dpf delete. If you can't get rid of your dpf because of emmisions laws in your state I would still get a tunner that shuts off regen process.

If ford would of never used ford gold coolant they would never had all the problems that they did. Ford will never admit this put that is why they changed coolant change interval from 100,000 to 50,000. I wouldn't trust the ford gold for even 15,000 miles. People have had clogged oil cooler in that amount of time from ford gold coolant. If the gold coolant was so go why did they use a different kind in the new 6.7 diesel.

The 6.4 is a very good engine but a few steps need to be taken care of in order to prevent all these stupid these from happening.

Also you need to keep up on the maintenance of this engine. I fuel filtration system is a good option. Get one that will take out the water in the fuel. If water gets to your injectors in the 6.4 it will more then likely cause them to fail.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:01 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Honestly , if you already have an 05 Cummins, fix it and keep it. Or buy a 6.0 truck and swap the Cummins into it.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The only big issue with the Cummins is, the "Garbage Can" that is built around it! The Dodge is a Piece of Crap, always has been, and always will be!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonm View Post
Honestly , if you already have an 05 Cummins, fix it and keep it. Or buy a 6.0 truck and swap the Cummins into it.
wtf? if you are going to buy a truck to put the cummins in dont buy a 6.0 they are fugly.................my 08 6.4 has been trouble free, but i only have 42,000 miles.............anything getting up around 150,000 is going to have stuff wearing out and giving up...........its been a very long time since i have owned anything over 80,000, but thats why i dont......
Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 AM

not sure why you would put it in a 6.0 the interior alone on the 6.4 is a million times better....also probably a bad question to ask here i would guess over 90% of people here will tell you to stick with ford and if you asked on the dodge forum then 90% would say stick with dodge so its really pointless question to ask...do your research and go with what one you like better....but since you did ask then
Old 12-10-2011, 08:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I good way to fix the cummins is get a very good fuel filtration system on the truck. A lot of the times the reason why the cummins injectors go out is because of poor fuel and fuel contamination. Which when fixed with a good fuel filtration system you will not have to worry about injectors going out again.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjd View Post
not sure why you would put it in a 6.0 the interior alone on the 6.4 is a million times better....
Because 6.0 trucks with blown head gaskets are cheap to buy and destroked makes everything needed to put the Cummins in it. Also if you put the 05 (non DPF equipped) Cummins into and 05 or older 6.0 truck, you actually wouldn't be breaking any laws. Putting the Cummins in a 6.4 truck would be more expensive (trucks cost more and the conversion stuff is more expensive) and you would be in violation of emissions laws (I run a DPF and EGR delete on my 6.4, but if I get busted or they start doing inspections where I live, those are easy enough to put back on. Not so easy if you have a complete different engine in there).
Old 12-10-2011, 03:41 PM

You'll save alot of money just fixing the truck you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.