Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

water separator light constantly coming on

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Thero 
#1 ·
seems I saw a similar problem a while back. I searched but couldn't find it.

I changed the fuel filters a few days ago for the first time since I've owned the truck. not overly dirty, went well despite dumping fuel everywhere. it started fine afterward, but every time I've driven it, within 10 miles the water separator light comes on. I've drained it 3 times and no water is coming out. the light did come on once about 6 months ago and I drained water from it. no light since. can I open the separator and clean/fix it? suggestions on finding problem and a fix are appreciated.

#2 ·
one of two things faulty sensor or actually have water in your fuel which could do a whole lot of damage and might not be under warranty I would call your dealership and probably take it in asap

#4 ·
When you drained it did water come out or diesel? I drain mine into a water bottle to see and at most I have water come out for two seconds the rest is fuel

#5 ·
If you have drained it several times and no water is visible in the container, then it sounds like it could be a faulty sensor. It could also be water has gotten past the water separator and is being triggered somewhere else. Not sure exactly whee the sensor is located in relation to the water separator and the HPFP, but if water got up there it could be expensive.

#6 ·
I didn't empty it into a bottle, that's a good idea. the good news is, it didn't come on today. 20 miles home from work and nothing.

when I emptied it the first time 6 months ago, I could tell when the water stopped and the fuel began. this time it looked and acted like fuel. maybe just a sticky sensor and the filter change did something.:dunno: thanks for the suggestions! I'll let you all know if something changes and I take it in.

#7 ·
Hey bioniccruiser i am about an hour north of you in Santa Fe, NM :D

#8 ·
Your water separator cavity is likely all gunked up. As all that crap sits in there it gels up into a gross wax like concoction that begins to fill up the cavity, making there less room for water to collect. If this happens it takes less water to trip the sensor, and also makes it easy for the sensor to fault out and go bad.

There's a good write up on here somewhere with pictures about how to take the cover off and clean it out, just have to do some searching. If I remember right it didn't seem overly difficult. Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.