Making F550 last - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2011, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Making F550 last

I have an 09 F550 with the 6.4, the truck is my primary work truck used to do all towing. The trips vary from 1/2 mile to 1500 miles with weights ranging from a few thousand to 25,000 pounds. So far the truck has been great except for the regens every 40 miles but that seems to be getting much better now around every 100-200 miles. Fuel economy seems to be improving too was around 5mpg new now around 7-8mpg. Even though my 6.7 Cummins never has given me any regen problems and 12mpg I still like the F550. I want to keep this truck for a long time, I am hoping to get another 5-10 years out of the truck and another couple hundred thousand miles out of it (has about 42,000 now).

What should be done to keep her going? My dealer has been doing oil every 5k trans every 15k diffs every 30k and fuel filters every 15k. Now that the warranty is running out most service will be done else where.

Also what mods are worth doing, please keep in mind its a F550 money maker. Its got the 4:88s and tows constantly. DOT checks have never been an issue so I am not too worried but would like to do stealth deletes if possible.

Thanks in advance. I just cannot find much info on here about the 550s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i would tune and do a down pipe back exhaust, stealth would be finding a hollowed out dpf and use the same tail pipe...also a full EGR delete, and change out the coolant...cai intake....ccv mode.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I know I should do a DPF delete, just not sure which one to go for. Was thinking the Livewire with Innvoatives tow tune. I really don't want to have to add power since the truck tows 100% of the time and has to last. Is the EGR worth doing? Or is it more trouble than its worth? Are these trucks okay turning such a high rpm all the time? The truck really screams with the 4:88 rear, was thinking of re-gearing it to the 4:30 or 4:44. I am sure that would help mpgs but how about the motor life?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oh and what would be a good maintenance schedule to follow?
Old 12-04-2011, 04:35 PM

The EGR delete is probably the most worthwhile mod to do in terms of reliability. You just have to "tune" the truck in order to turn off/get rid of the EGR coolers. As for which tuner to use, that's up to you. H&S and Spartan seem to be the two that are the most popular with users here. Not saying that the SCT is bad just a lot of people are very happy with H&S and Spartan.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
The EGR delete is probably the most worthwhile mod to do in terms of reliability. You just have to "tune" the truck in order to turn off/get rid of the EGR coolers. As for which tuner to use, that's up to you. H&S and Spartan seem to be the two that are the most popular with users here. Not saying that the SCT is bad just a lot of people are very happy with H&S and Spartan.
Can you just turn off the EGR with the tuner or does it have to be deleted?
Old 12-04-2011, 06:18 PM

You can turn off the EGR cooler but that requires an H&S tuner. Believe every other tuner cycles the cooler. However, deleting the EGR cooler is the best idea. If you aren't after high-horsepower, I'd recommend blockoff plates and an intake elbow.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
Re gearing will make a HUGE improvement on MPG's. If you dont need those gears, change them out to some 4.10's. Most of the tuners disable to EGR in anything above the 210. Im sure you could have them turn it off in all programs if you would like. If i were you I would stick to using your stock tailpipe and get the delete pipes. It will atleast look factory from the outside.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:11 AM

I am trying to stay stealth as well. I hollowed out a dpf/cat. Thinking about the egr delete but came across Bullet proof diesel egr coolers and kinda leaning that way. Anybody have any experience with them?
Old 12-06-2011, 04:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to blackcloud2k Send a message via Yahoo to blackcloud2k
I have ran them on a 6.0 but never on a 6.4. They work well. That is an expensive upgrade on a 6.4 though, nearly $1200 for the coolers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.