6.0 or 6.4? what do you guys think - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 or 6.4? what do you guys think

hey guys i know ive posted a million different times about getting a ford, but now it seems im getting closer. im looking for a late 7.3 lariat or xlt 6 speed. but im finding real nice 6.0s and 6.4s that are similarly priced. should i go 6.0 or 6.4, i know i posted this in the 6.4 section but id like to learn more about em and their reliability. should i get the bpd egr coolers for it or do an egr delete. im gonna tune it and do a dpf delete if i get one. any input from 6.0 or 6.4 guys is appreciated. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2011, 01:08 PM

I would say it is luck of the draw. If you could find a 6.0 that has the problems fixed may be ok . I am seriuosly questioning the reliability of my 6.4 seems to be one thing after another lately i do have 128,000 on it but looks like it needs a motor now. Just had 1000's of dolllars worth of front end work.On my 4th radiator. On the other hand there are quit a few guys that have had limited problems. I just think you wont see many 300,000 mile 6.4. I also do not beat my truck to death and it sees regular maint short of the trans filter.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 PM

really, after reading up on the 6.4 a little bit it seems like people had some serious problems or only minor problems with job1 trucks. coolant leaks and all that and some people had injectors completely wash out a cylinder. other than that, and some DPF related issues which are common i heard the job3's are alot better.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:57 PM

Well the injectors sticking I believe is more of just a 6.4 thing. The job 1 had head gasket and radiator issues. I was just at the dealership today and they ha an 09 that had a melted piston.The job 3 really is the job 1 with the issues supposedly fixed or so I understand it. The job 1 s should have had issue taken care of by now. The thing I dont understand why dont these engine do a better job of protecting themselves.If an injector sticks open why dont the damn thing go into shutdown or something.My dealership told me they have changed way more motors in the 6.4 than they ever did in the 6.0 To me a diesel should run 250,000 or better before you should see any issues.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:04 PM

yeah i hear ya on that, the more techs i see on there say that the 6.4 is quite a bit better, and that theyve made their living on 6.0s... but i hear ya, my 01 dmax hasnt seen a problem in the 8 months i had it and my dads 03 cummins never had one issue
Old 11-30-2011, 02:45 PM

If i had to do it over again i would find a nice low milage 6.0 and do studs and an egr delete. The 6.4 is alot nicer interior wise but a 6.0 that is fixed is going to last longer, and not have the fuel system issues that a 6.4 can have. One other big plus for a 6.0 over a 6.4 is the epa and dpf delete issues.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge1995 View Post
I would say it is luck of the draw. If you could find a 6.0 that has the problems fixed may be ok . I am seriuosly questioning the reliability of my 6.4 seems to be one thing after another lately i do have 128,000 on it but looks like it needs a motor now. Just had 1000's of dolllars worth of front end work.On my 4th radiator. On the other hand there are quit a few guys that have had limited problems. I just think you wont see many 300,000 mile 6.4. I also do not beat my truck to death and it sees regular maint short of the trans filter.
What is your truck doing that makes you think you need a motor?
Old 11-30-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired1 View Post
If i had to do it over again i would find a nice low milage 6.0 and do studs and an egr delete. The 6.4 is alot nicer interior wise but a 6.0 that is fixed is going to last longer, and not have the fuel system issues that a 6.4 can have. One other big plus for a 6.0 over a 6.4 is the epa and dpf delete issues.
all these trucks have between 76-119k im looking at ones under 100k. the 6.4 is an 08 and has 92k
Old 11-30-2011, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04hdfatboy View Post
What is your truck doing that makes you think you need a motor?
Well The cooloant degas bottle puked oil all up and down the side of my truck and motor(hence the only way I noticed something wrong)I figured head gaskets or oil cooler but then I pulled oil filler cap it is a sludge mixture of oil and coolant (thicker than pudding). Currently sitting at Ford. They are suppose to pull it apart tommorrow. They said if it need engine that is around 14,000 but i have yet to check around.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 PM

I had a 7.3 that was a 02 and i loved that truck. Ran strong but tranny sucked, HPOP sucked, injector wiring sucked, ball joints went out more then once. Needles to say i have had some issues with it.

NOW i have a 6.4 and it has been a great truck. I have 190,000 miles on EVERYTHING and it runs great and strong. It is just now sounding like a pulley is going out but that aint no big deal. My tranny is strong and i run the spartan 300 as a DD. I have ran the 310 and raced it ALOT against other trucks. I love this truck and i would never get rid of it.

No matter what you get you might not have any problems and you might have some. You can never tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.