Recent 08 F350 Purchase... need help getting rid of emmissions BS! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2011, 07:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recent 08 F350 Purchase... need help getting rid of emmissions BS!

I recently purchased a 2008 F350 King Ranch and it is awesome! It has 40K miles on it and I purchased the extra warranty up to 100K. I want to get rid of all the BS on the exhaust, DPF delete, etc and buy a programmer to make it run better but it will void the warranty from what i've heard....

Any Ideas???

I've thrown around the idea of buying a whole new turbo back exhaust and keeping the stock one and if I had problems delete the program and put it back to stock as well as put the stock exhaust back on.

Input??

Thanks everyone for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2011, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Why did you purchase the extended warranty if you plan on deleting the truck? The deletes will void your warranty. As far as returning the vehicle to stock goes, tuners can be traced if the tech knows what they're doing and if there is a major issue with the truck, Ford will dive deep into the truck to ensure that it is a "true" warranty claim. Also, the most worthwhile mod for reliability is doing the EGR delete and that is a rather lengthy process to get rid of to begin with. I was quoted 9 hours labor (this is what the shop averages) for total removal of both EGR coolers and this was with the cab lifted.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I guess I wasn't thinking to put it simply. I have friends who also have the same year of pickup and they talked about how they were doing this, later to find out they had well over 60K miles on theirs and it didn't matter to them because they were already past warranty anyways. I just assumed that it was fine to do it not knowing that it voided the warranty. I found out too late basically. Allegedly I've heard the dealers can't do anything as long as you take it back stock. (I could be misled on this as well) When you delete the program it just shows that your battery has been recently disconnected and says nothing more, again not sure if this is true. It's hard to get correct information these days. Thanks for your time.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker_quiram View Post
I guess I wasn't thinking to put it simply. I have friends who also have the same year of pickup and they talked about how they were doing this, later to find out they had well over 60K miles on theirs and it didn't matter to them because they were already past warranty anyways. I just assumed that it was fine to do it not knowing that it voided the warranty. I found out too late basically. Allegedly I've heard the dealers can't do anything as long as you take it back stock. (I could be misled on this as well) When you delete the program it just shows that your battery has been recently disconnected and says nothing more, again not sure if this is true. It's hard to get correct information these days. Thanks for your time.
just return it back to stock if you ever need to, its that simple...no teck is going to "dig" into anything to find some hidden trace of a previous program.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
just return it back to stock if you ever need to, its that simple...no teck is going to "dig" into anything to find some hidden trace of a previous program.
I'm not sold on that argument. It is in the dealership's interest to try and wiggle their way out of performing warranty work so you'd think they'd look for anything that could get them out of this responsibility. The dealership usually loses money when they have to perform warranty work as Ford is somewhat unrealistic with the amount they reimburse dealerships.

If you paid for the extended warranty, you might as well keep the truck stock. If you can cancel/opt out of the extended warranty, I'd go and get the truck tuned. Why take the risk at your warranty being voided after shelling out all that money on an extended warranty that yo may not be able to use?
Old 12-02-2011, 04:11 AM

A simple tuner (H&S), dpf delete and exhaust will work great. A simple dpf back exhaust will not do much good. You might have warranty issues unless you put the truck back to stock before any work is done.

As for the EGR delete, many have reported doing this in the driveway in WELL under 9 hrs. LOL The EGR delete kit is worth the money and the install is pretty straight forward.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
I'm not sold on that argument. It is in the dealership's interest to try and wiggle their way out of performing warranty work so you'd think they'd look for anything that could get them out of this responsibility. The dealership usually loses money when they have to perform warranty work as Ford is somewhat unrealistic with the amount they reimburse dealerships.

If you paid for the extended warranty, you might as well keep the truck stock. If you can cancel/opt out of the extended warranty, I'd go and get the truck tuned. Why take the risk at your warranty being voided after shelling out all that money on an extended warranty that yo may not be able to use?
well that has not been my experience, has it been yours? or are you just assuming? now keep in mind i have had 3 ford diesels since 2004, so i know my way around the service dept....for example... the steering wheel on my 08 began to flake a bit at 20,000 miles, i mentioned this to the service mgr,, he says" oh we haven't seen that for awhile, its warranty, i'll get you a new one"...... thats been mine... another example... i traded my center console for the center seat with a member, well when i got the seat the top part was broken and rocked around, like from putting a bunch of weight on one off the front corners, anyway , i installed and took it in to see if there was a way to fix it. i told them it was not original to my truck......replaced under warranty.......so it sound to me like you really need to find a better dealer because you are getting abused...
Old 12-02-2011, 06:57 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I thought that the tuners leave a combustion pattern (star) on the pistons due to the improved tuning?

If so, there is no way to return that back to stock. You would have to have major problem to have them pull a head in diagnosis and discover that, but then again a major fubar is where you want the warranty coverage the most.

Personally, I don't like extended warranties. They sell them for a reason. Ask an actuary why. Of course, YMMV !

Shawn
Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
well that has not been my experience, has it been yours? or are you just assuming? now keep in mind i have had 3 ford diesels since 2004, so i know my way around the service dept....for example... the steering wheel on my 08 began to flake a bit at 20,000 miles, i mentioned this to the service mgr,, he says" oh we haven't seen that for awhile, its warranty, i'll get you a new one"...... thats been mine... another example... i traded my center console for the center seat with a member, well when i got the seat the top part was broken and rocked around, like from putting a bunch of weight on one off the front corners, anyway , i installed and took it in to see if there was a way to fix it. i told them it was not original to my truck......replaced under warranty.......so it sound to me like you really need to find a better dealer because you are getting abused...
The way the service adviser explained how they get reimbursed/paid from Ford for performing warranty work makes it so dealerships don't want to perform invasive warranty work. I was told that Ford takes four master mechanics and gets them to perform the same task. Ford then averages the time it takes those four mechanics to do the job and whatever that is, is what the dealership gets compensated for. If it averages taking the Ford mechanics 3 hours to diagnose and repair a problem and it takes the dealership mechanic, 4, the dealership loses out on an hour of labor at their inflated shop rate but they still have to pay their mechanic for four hours of work.

I also think my age plays a major factor in the service I receive. Being young and owning an expensive truck doesn't get you treated very well, when you're dealing with older service writers that think you're a silver spoon.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:40 PM

I'm a technician for a ford dealership. Why would we say no to warranty work? It's money in our pocket. Sure we like to do retail jobs better than warranty, but if you are good at what you do you should have no problem doing the jobs in the time warranty allows. It pretty much all comes down to the story you write for the repair you made, good story = get paid in full for all work done. We could care less if your truck comes in the shop modified, we'll fix it. Only time issues ever really come up is when prior approval wants detailed pictures of various areas of the truck. Even then, they have approved many jobs on modified trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.