external trans filter - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
external trans filter

I read on another forum that all job 1 (mine is 01/07 build date) have a external trans filter...ive looked high and low and dont see a filter on mine. Also I changed tanny fluid and did a flush about a month ago kinda worried they didnt change the internal filter or is that a given that they would?

Last edited by srjd; 11-28-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 03:27 PM

I have a job 1 The external filter is just to the passenger side from the oil drain plug. Metal round thing with 2 lines going to it.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:30 PM

ok apparently I do have a external filter.....Can I change that now even though I did the flush 1000km ago or do I have to change it when all the fluid is out?
Old 11-28-2011, 03:41 PM

I cant tell you that for sure by the looks of it with the right tools it could be changed out with some loss. It has some special clips on it. I think the filter is like 180 bucks.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM

well im ticked I didnt know this a month ago when i did the flush....i guess when I go for days off ill just have to take it in a get a new filter put in....I called the place that did the flush and they said they dont change the internal or external filter unless the customer asked for it to be changed...I asked them how many people do and the guy told me that almost everbody DOES NOT ask for any filter change. He stated that the flush cleans it out good enough...but im assuming if the filter gets full then its not filtering properly so ill just take it to fold when I get home and get the external one changed....am I safe to assume that since I have the external filter that I do not have an internal filter?
Thanks in advance for all of your help
Old 11-29-2011, 05:44 AM

Thats funny no one ask for it to be change because I bet most think it would be! I am not 100% sure but I believe it does not have an internal filter only the external. Then they switched to the internal in later 08. Personally I would just catch it on the next change. If it gets full I would think that it would not allow fluid to pass and give weird shifts. I have 128,000 on mine and maintain it well but I have to say my ext trans filter has been on for a long time.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 PM

have you ever changed it? mine has 140,000km and Im pretty sure its never been changed....ive always changed the fluid more then on time and my tranny temps are usually about 160 which is good......hopefully I havnt done any damage that cant be reversed
Old 11-29-2011, 07:41 PM

From what I have read online people say that the external filter only filters 10% of the fluid. I believe that I read something about fluid only passing through it under certain conditions. I also read that there is still some sort of screen type filter in the pan. I would do a lot of research before you tear into it again.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-29-2011, 07:49 PM

even if it hasnt been done as long as I think its been left? My fluid has always looked really good but I want to be safe then sorry I have an appoinment on friday I think Ill take it in im paranoid
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 AM

I have 128,000 miles on mine and it hasnt been touched. I had tranny fluid changes on two cars I have owned in my life both of which I had to replace tranny in I vowed after the second time I wouldnt mess with it. Coincidence maybe but every other I have owned never had a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.