2008 Harley F350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 06:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2008 Harley F350

Hey guys, new to the site. I did a search on google for a good forum where I can get some advice and this looked like a good one. I'm looking at buying a 2008 F350 Harley edition 6.4L diesel, it will be my first diesel so I don't know a whole alot about them. The truck has 81,000KMS on it, 6" lift, after market wheels, and I noticed in the pictures it has an aftermaket dual exhaust, there is a pipe coming out behind the back tire on both sides. It's priced at $37,900.00, it's a beatiful looking truck and I have been wanting one for a long time, I'm just wondering what you guys think about it?? what should I look for?? and what qusetions should I ask when I call the dealer?? I noticed in the pictures that the dealer sent me, they had it running when they took the pics and there is a check engine light on but I have a friend who said his check engine light is always on with no driveability problems. I'm guessing there's still warranty on it, I heard the 6.4L's have a warranty until 160,000kms. I'm not to worried about fuel milage, I know they are a bit hard on fuel and I also do mostly highway driving, where I live it gets very cold also, 40 below zero and that's celcius. Just want to know what I'm getting into? Thanks guys.

Here is a picture of the truck if it works:
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Harley F350-586_5.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2011, 06:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

well first off, from the pic.. nice looking truck. concerns.....there should not be a check engine light on, probably just minor, but id be concerned about someone taking a pic of it.... the other, bigger issue is that it looks like a tuned truck, which opens up all types of new questions you need to ask the seller.....
Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM

Truck looks good and the price seems pretty reasonable for the amount of KMs and the aftermarket parts that were added. Your warranty may or may not be there and dealerships will tell you whatever you want to hear just to sell the truck. A lift will pretty much take your powertrain warranty away and so will the deletes being done which is probably the reason for the aftermarket exhaust and the check engine light. All those aftermarket parts being added are grounds for warranty denial. However, there are some dealerships that may work with you rather than wanting nothing to do with you.

I'd ask the dealership (if it's a Ford dealership) to pull an Oasis report. Basically, it will tell you what recalls/TSBs have been done on the truck and what work has been done to it. Do you know when the truck was manufactured? If it is a Job 1, they were prone to radiator issues but that was fixed in subsequent production years but they were also replaced on these early trucks so there's nothing to really worry about.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
well first off, from the pic.. nice looking truck. concerns.....there should not be a check engine light on, probably just minor, but id be concerned about someone taking a pic of it.... the other, bigger issue is that it looks like a tuned truck, which opens up all types of new questions you need to ask the seller.....
I don't think they took a pic of the check engine light on purpose they were just taking a pic of the interior and I noticed it. If no tuner comes with it I might just take it to the dealer and get them to do a reflash on the pcm just to be on the safe side and I'll buy a tuner myself, I just want a mild tune. Nice truck ya got there.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
Truck looks good and the price seems pretty reasonable for the amount of KMs and the aftermarket parts that were added. Your warranty may or may not be there and dealerships will tell you whatever you want to hear just to sell the truck. A lift will pretty much take your powertrain warranty away and so will the deletes being done which is probably the reason for the aftermarket exhaust and the check engine light. All those aftermarket parts being added are grounds for warranty denial. However, there are some dealerships that may work with you rather than wanting nothing to do with you.

I'd ask the dealership (if it's a Ford dealership) to pull an Oasis report. Basically, it will tell you what recalls/TSBs have been done on the truck and what work has been done to it. Do you know when the truck was manufactured? If it is a Job 1, they were prone to radiator issues but that was fixed in subsequent production years but they were also replaced on these early trucks so there's nothing to really worry about.
What deletes do you think is done?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:11 PM

If there's an aftermarket exhaust, that means there's been a tuner in it. You need the tuner in order to get rid of the dpf system. That being said, there could also be a cold air intake and an EGR delete. A reflash will not work with an aftermarket exhaust. You'd need a DPF system to get rid of the check engine light/limp mods that the truck would be in. Find out what has been done. If there's an aftermarket exhaust, there's been a tuner on it. A simple look under the hood will show you if an EGR delete has been done and if there's a CAI on there.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:08 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Here is a pic of under the hood, looks like a CAI to the left there.
Attached Thumbnails
2008 Harley F350-586_21.jpg  
Old 11-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
If there's an aftermarket exhaust, that means there's been a tuner in it. You need the tuner in order to get rid of the dpf system. That being said, there could also be a cold air intake and an EGR delete. A reflash will not work with an aftermarket exhaust. You'd need a DPF system to get rid of the check engine light/limp mods that the truck would be in. Find out what has been done. If there's an aftermarket exhaust, there's been a tuner on it. A simple look under the hood will show you if an EGR delete has been done and if there's a CAI on there.
So if all this stuff is done to it, is that a bad thing?? should I stay away from it? so basically what your telling me is that I would need the tuner?? I'm totally new when it comes to diesels man, sorry. I'm trying to understand what your telling me.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:44 AM

The mods aren't a bad thing. Just make sure the dealership will warranty you if something goes wrong. Not saying there will be something wrong but who knows what the previous owner did with the truck. The truck may already have a tuner if it has an aftermarket exhaust. If it doesn't have a tuner, that could be why the check engine light is on. Could also have something to do with the CAI but most tuners will clear that trouble. Is there a tuner in the truck? The truck seems like a good unit on paper. Low KM is always a good thing and the price seems reasonable. I'd just look into it a little more. Get an Oasis report and find out exactly what mods have been done to the truck.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:31 AM

if you are buying from the dealership, and they are selling you a tuned truck,, they need to give you ,in writing, that they will cover the warranty...there has to be a tuner, having a tuner does not mean you have a"check engine light" on all the time......if it has aftermarket exhaust.. no DPF; then it is not running Ford tuning, so there has to be a tuner, if not. then have them , on their dime, bring the truck back to stock as far as putting the original exhaust and dpf back on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.