Head Gaskets????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 09:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Head Gaskets?????

Well as stated on another thread. I cam home off a 400 mile trip and it was dark. Truck ran fine.Go out the next day to see drivers side wheel well , rim, right side of engine all covered in oil. Never had oil light or anything.Well under further investigation the coolant degas bottle is full of oil. wich I assume is / was overflowing causing the oil everywhere. Is it head gaskets or something else.

2008 f350 6.4 spartan tuned 210 delete but havent run hard

Thanks Keith
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Park it bud I would say you have a exploded oilcooler and that crap will be in every hose.Had it happen to mine and it was easier to replace the engine cause of the mess.I now have a plugged cooler again and a delay in getting one cause I didn"t get it clean of all that oil antifreeze mix.Just by what your saying thats what it sounds like.If you pull off lower rad hose and its full of that crap my guess is oilcooler.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:47 PM

If it was running ok on the trip with no missing....probably the oil cooler!
Old 11-25-2011, 03:36 PM
information regurgitator

Definitely your oil cooler exploded. The oil is under higher pressure than the coolant, so the oil goes into the cooling system and no coolant will go into the oil.
You need to park the truck until you swap out the oil cooler (and address your egr cooler). The oil cooler likely failed due to high oil temps. The high oil temps are caused by the oil cooler becoming plugged within the coolant passages. That plugging will slow coolant flow. Since the coolant that exits the oil cooler is directly fed to the egr cooler, the egr cooler has been overheating. Failure is right around the corner or it has already happened and is going un-noticed. If your state does not have emissions testing for diesels, and you don't think they will be adding it in the near future, and egr cooler delete might be advisable. Egr cooler failures are the leading cause of head gasket failures. The egr cooler leaks coolant into the combustion chambers, raising the cylinder pressure beyond what the stock head bolts can with stand, they stretch and the heads lift off the block, and the head gaskets blow.
There is a specific Ford TSB that has a flushing procedure in it for the instance of the oil cooler failure such as this. You will have to drain the cooling system, replace the oil cooler, do whatever you want with the egr cooler, then start the flushing process.
CLICK HERE or google "Ford TSB 08-23-1.
If you want to tackle the repair yourself, in my signature line, I have posted a step-by-step for oil cooler replacement.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:47 PM
information regurgitator

This might be a good time to swap out the stock Ford Gold coolant in favor of the ELC style coolant. The Ford Gold coolant requires frequent monitoring/maintenance of the Nitrite level to remian effective. If the maintenance is ignored, and the nitrite level falls, the coolant can allow the creation of a goo/slime/gunk that will clog the oil cooler coolant passages, which is likely what has happened here.
Post repair of the oil cooler, and after doing the the flush above, you would need to use another chemical called "restore." This chemical will remove the chemical layer (or what is left of it) off the walls of the cooling system. That layer is chemically incompatible with the ELC style coolants, which is why the restore flush is needed. You will also need to flush the cooling system at least 7 times using distilled water to remove the tap water in the cooling system.
Once that is done (and you are looking at a good 8-10 hours of flushing the cooling system) refill the cooling system with a CAT EC-1 rated ELC coolant. This style coolant does not require frequent monitoring/maintenance. Just flush it out/replace it every other year. Use only distilled water as needed.
You will need 4 gallons of CONCENTRATED coolant. There is no way to completely drain the cooling system, even if you pull both of the block drains. The engine block will still retain approx. 50% of the total capacity. If you use premixed to refill the cooling system, you would end up with a 25% coolant/75% water, You need to get to a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:24 PM

Well the day just keeps getting better just for giggles i pulled the oil filler cap , it is a pure mix of coolant and oil . I thought about draining the oil but then figured why bother. Then to top it all off it looks as though I am 122 miles out of warranty.

Local dealer is saying around 14 grand for engine if it needs it(they havent looked at it). I beleive I will bury it!!!!!The truck has had 4 radiators since new so I doubt old coolant was an issue.

Why was there no check engine light or anything. Even with all the stuff I monitor on the dash-daq nothing seemed out of ordinary other than oil everywhere.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:35 PM
information regurgitator

what were you seeing for oil temps? Coolant temps?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:57 PM

How many miles on the truck and how many miles were on it at time of sale? My truck was a dealer transfer so my warranty is good to 37,200 61,200 101,200. Just want to make sure you checked that if you are that close to the end of warranty. I would be calling ford to tell them the truck quite possible failed under warranty. They"might" help some
Old 11-26-2011, 06:45 PM

I had warranty to 128,000 I have 128,122

I have a call into ford I was told to call back on monday to get an answer. I am not holding my breath.It is what it is by the book it is out of warranty, will they bend ,I hope so but seriously doubt it.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:20 PM

Update. Well now I am crossing my fingers Ford said they are going to take care of it.What a load off my brain. Really anxious to see what the problem is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.