Transmission Temps and whats normal? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Temps and whats normal?

I had a condition but not really a problem occur Friday night. Ambient temperature was around 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I was driving down the Interstate at approximately 70 mph. My transmission temperature reached 192 degrees Fahrenheit on my H&S Black Maxx. I have never seen my transmission above the lower 180 range during summer temperatures of 100+ degrees Fahrenheit so I set my defuel parameters at 190 degrees Fahrenheit for the transmission. Radiator Coolant temperature was 192 and Engine Oil Temperature was 197. Torque Converter was locked and showed no signs of slippage. So what happened? I drove the truck the rest of the weekend to see if this condition would re-occur but it never did, and ambient temperature had rose to 65 degrees Fahrenheit but transmission temperatures only peaked to 177 degrees Fahrenheit. I checked the transmission fluids and looked for leaks and no issues could be found. I am going to list some possible issues and I want your opinions.

1. Cold ambient temperatures caused the fan to never actuate, causing temperature in the transmission to rise due less air being drawn over the transmission cooler?
2. Is there some sort of temperature control method in the transmission other than the transmission heat exchanger to malfunction?
3. Clogged transmission filters and time to change? Truck has 24,000 miles.
Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleitzs View Post
I had a condition but not really a problem occur Friday night. Ambient temperature was around 30 degrees Fahrenheit. I was driving down the Interstate at approximately 70 mph. My transmission temperature reached 192 degrees Fahrenheit on my H&S Black Maxx. I have never seen my transmission above the lower 180 range during summer temperatures of 100+ degrees Fahrenheit so I set my defuel parameters at 190 degrees Fahrenheit for the transmission. Radiator Coolant temperature was 192 and Engine Oil Temperature was 197. Torque Converter was locked and showed no signs of slippage. So what happened? I drove the truck the rest of the weekend to see if this condition would re-occur but it never did, and ambient temperature had rose to 65 degrees Fahrenheit but transmission temperatures only peaked to 177 degrees Fahrenheit. I checked the transmission fluids and looked for leaks and no issues could be found. I am going to list some possible issues and I want your opinions.

1. Cold ambient temperatures caused the fan to never actuate, causing temperature in the transmission to rise due less air being drawn over the transmission cooler?
2. Is there some sort of temperature control method in the transmission other than the transmission heat exchanger to malfunction?
3. Clogged transmission filters and time to change? Truck has 24,000 miles.
Thanks for any help.
nothing wrong with 192 on the tranny......i also like to look at the factory gauges,,,when your max is showing 192, take a look at the factory gauge... you will see that its in the normal operating range....if your tranny is too hot, it will show up on the factory gauge with the needle heading to the yellow and red..
Old 11-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks INJEKTER. I do understand that 192 is still normal operating temperature, but I'm a guy that focuses on trends or sudden changes in trends in the operating temperature bands. This was what I would consider a sudden operating temperature change under a cold operating environment, it just did not make any sense to me and made believe something might be going wrong inside the transmission. My truck's operating temperatures have been so consistent since I installed the black maxxx and this departure from the norm was concerning.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

yeah mine did that while towing once.....it was running hotter than it normally did, dint know why, still don't, that time i just switched over to a lower tune and the temp stayed down... ran the high tune after that on a different trip and the temps stayed where i was used to them being.....if you have some thing wrong it will stay wrong and more than likely get REAL WRONG.....it's also air cooled so its a bit of a traded off, if i get stuck behind someone on a grade my temps will go up because im normally cruising along pretty fast which gives me better air cooling, running the motor harder but cooling better...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
trans temp, transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.