Steering - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2011, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steering

I have a question about the steering on these trucks. This is my first Ford and first powerstroke so i have no past experiences. My truck is a 08 and just seems to have weird play in the steering. I had front end aligned and all that and on this truck your steering wheel is hardly ever straight while driving. I know roads are graded slightly to let rain drain off and wind plays a factor. I understand the basics but seems like your always having to hold steering wheel a certain way and has more play than usual from my past experiences. Just was curious if i could have something wrong or is this normal for this truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut_7 View Post
I have a question about the steering on these trucks. This is my first Ford and first powerstroke so i have no past experiences. My truck is a 08 and just seems to have weird play in the steering. I had front end aligned and all that and on this truck your steering wheel is hardly ever straight while driving. I know roads are graded slightly to let rain drain off and wind plays a factor. I understand the basics but seems like your always having to hold steering wheel a certain way and has more play than usual from my past experiences. Just was curious if i could have something wrong or is this normal for this truck.
what size are your wheels and tires?
Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

35x12.50x20 on factory wheels
Old 11-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggernaut_7 View Post
35x12.50x20 on factory wheels
went through the exact same thing,ever since i put on the 35's.....my steering wasn't straight anymore and it wandered all over. what you need is a dual steering stabilizer, i put one on and all my issues went away, steers like stock now...this link gives you a pretty good selection....the $150 range is all you need.....the more expensive ones are just fancier if you are lifted and they are visible...i think you need at least a level lift to run some of these... easy drivway 45 min install....

Stabilizers (2008-2009 Ford Super Duty) - Top Gun Customz i went with the rough country and am very happy with it..
Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM

I had a similar experience with factory tires after numerous trips to the dealership it was narrowed down to the ball joints and after replacement and a alignment the play in the steering and wandering disappeared
Old 11-20-2011, 03:50 PM

i run 37x13.5x20 and had the same problem....I also put on dual steering stabilizers and it fixed the problem
Old 11-20-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERYDAY J View Post
I had a similar experience with factory tires after numerous trips to the dealership it was narrowed down to the ball joints and after replacement and a alignment the play in the steering and wandering disappeared
he dosent have factory tires, he has over sized tires, my ball joints were perfect at 20,000 miles, but the moment i put on the 35's my steering went to chit....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.