Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Cetane Booster for 6.4?

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Heavychevss 
#1 · (Edited)
Today when picking up my 2008 F250 one of the techs from the local Ford dealer recommended that I use cetane booster. He stated that the Ford diesels were designed to run on 45 cetane diesel but that Florida allows the sale of a lower grade 38 cetane diesel. This lower grade diesel contributes to the some of the EGR/ carbon build up issues or something to that effect.

Being a diesel newbie I need to ask- fiction or is there something to this??

Thanks in advance,
Rick

#2 ·
There are a lot of different ones out there. I use and have great results with Opti Lub xpd.

Cetane booster
Lube
Cleaner
Anti Gel

Works well.

#3 ·
Well I know our trucks were designed to run on higher cetane than is common these days (although I don't know the number), I don't know if its lower rating leads to egr/carbon issues. I use powerservice as its available at a good price almost anywhere.

#5 ·
I think the tech is probably right. I'm not sure about the cetane content in Florida, but I know adding cetane never hurts. I've always been a fan of Power Services Diesel Fuel Supplement+Cetane Boost. I run it year round in my 7.3L.

#7 ·
I dont have my DPF anymore, but due to the fact that running Cetane booster "cant hurt", I run Diesel Kleen in every tank just to be safe. Im not sure if it helps anything or not, but I do it just to be safe.

#9 ·
i dont have the dpf anymore either and also run diesel kleen for peace of mind anyways

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.