Shopping 6.4s. Need your guidance. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Shopping 6.4s. Need your guidance.

I'm finally growing up and ready to move on from my 06 Tacoma Prerunner. I'm in love with the style, interior and exterior size, fit and finish of the F-250s. I don't tow much if at all. I do use it limited off road but no real "4 wheeling" just for access to the woods, dirtbiking etc.

In the research I've done thus far I'm leaning towards, and feel slightly safer with, the 6.4. I've seen comments regarding the tuner, egr delete, and dpf delete and and making myself familiar with them.

I need your experience and guidance on the following questions:
1. What priority order and necessity would you set these mods in (assuming none have been done)?

2. How much should I budget for mods? Should I budget for labor or are these easily done yourself?

3. Any advice on what to watch out for or things to look for on trucks I'm looking at?

Thanks!
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depending on the tuner you get, some will completely shut off the EGR while others will cycle it. If you get an H&S, it will turn off the EGR system which will buy you time until you can afford an EGR delete or feel like doing it. Granted, the sooner the better but you will definitely buy yourself a lot of time with a tuner that doesn't cycle it. With a tuner, you'll need a delete pipe (cheapest option) or a full exhaust. I'd also recommend a cold air intake. Everything but the EGR delete is relatively easy to do in your driveway. Just takes time. I'd plan on a whole day to install a tuner, cold air intake and exhaust. The exhaust will take you the longest and will be the most difficult just because of the bulk of the old exhaust and the way the clamps are. The EGR delete is a lot more invasive depending on the style you go with. For total removal of the EGR system, I was quoted 9 hours of labor.

There are packages available from many distributors/site sponsors that will include everything you need and they cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 depending on the tuner and what's included/what options you select.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
There are packages available from many distributors/site sponsors that will include everything you need and they cost anywhere from $1000-$2000 depending on the tuner and what's included/what options you select.
This is for the tuner and the pipe or this is all of the parts for the full EGR Delete? I've done some research and seen programmers / tuners from $60 up.

Is the DPF delete necessary for reliability or is that more of a performance enhancement?
Old 11-17-2011, 10:42 AM

The $1000-$2000 price will include a tuner, exhaust, and cold air intake. If you get a tuner, you have to do the DPF delete. The DPF delete requires either a new exhaust or a DPF delete pipe. The delete pipe is the cheap option. It uses your stock exhaust and you insert the DPF delete pipe into a segment of the stock exhaust that you take out. The EGR delete kit is another few hundred dollars depending on what you go with. The minimum I'd do is some block off plates with a CFM+. DPF delete is kind of a reliability issue as you can get plugged DPF filters which put you into limp mode. You'll also get better fuel mileage since you won't be going into regen. The EGR delete is definitely a reliability mod.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Make sure all the TSB's have been taken care of. Check the radiator and degas bottle regularly to make sure your not leaking as the mounting is plastic and results in the radiator possibly splitting and leaking. Drain the water separator regularly as these vehicles don't play nice with water in the fuel. Newer flashes have been released to hopefully detect water sooner but it's good to be vigilant. Regular maintenance visits and schedules to keep the truck running good for years to come.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

TSB? What is this? Remember, new to ford and diesel.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM

Believe TSB stands for technical service bulletin or something like that. Whatever the case, it basically means make sure all the recalls have been performed if there are any or make sure all the services are current and up to date. There may not be a recall but TSBs are released when manufacturers see the same parts broken over and over again or the same leaks keep happening.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmcphail View Post
TSB? What is this? Remember, new to ford and diesel.
Sorry about that, Alberta's correct, Technical Service Bulletin. Similar to recall notices but not as frightening. They usually take care of TSB's when you visit for maintenance issues etc.. unlike a recall that has notices sent to all owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.