Thoughts please... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2011, 07:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thoughts please...

I'm looking at getting some more performance out of my 08 but with only 42k on the odometer I don't really want to do something that'll void warrenty. I've thought about an exhaust and chip and what not just not real sure. Plus I'm still pretty new to these new diesels and am not real sure what I can and can't do with out a chip and what kind of gains I'd get. Is it worth doing anything like a straight pipe after the dpf or is that even possible with out a chip? Thanks in advance for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2011, 07:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you wanna do exhaust you'll wanna get rid of the DPF and CAT cause that's the cause of a lot of wasted fuel during regen and excessive back pressure. To delete the DPF the regen needs to be tuned out.
You just voided your warranty. Unless you find a dealer who is mod friendly, you'll probably be out of luck.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:53 PM

my first thought was , come back when you are done worrying about your warranty.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:16 PM

That's what I was figuring I was just seeing if I had some options without ditching the dpf guess I'm going to start talking to the dealer
Old 11-15-2011, 08:33 PM

You should have a 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty. When was the truck purchased. The warranty might be up real soon.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: -1 reviews
You can always buy my Banks iQ and 6-Gun which are DPF on tuning which is for sale cheap! Shameless plug, yes I know!
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I would go with an H & S tuner and delete the DPF. With the H & S tuner you pull the whole DPF/DOC out with all the sensors still in it. If you ever had an issue with the truck you would have to reinstall the DPF before you took it to Ford. Really it only takes about an hour to swap the DPF in and out so it's not that bad. Now if you travel long distances with the truck you might want to reconsider. If it breaks down on you along ways from home and you have to take is to Ford then you'll be screwed.

With the extra fuel mileage you'll get from the DPF being removed the chip will pay itself off quick. Not to mention 6.4's are nasty with a tuner on them.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw226 View Post
You should have a 5 year/60,000 mile power train warranty. When was the truck purchased. The warranty might be up real soon.
i thought that it changed from 5/100,000.............is that just for the 6.4 do you know? in another thread they were saying it was still the 5/100,000
Old 11-16-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
I would go with an H & S tuner and delete the DPF. With the H & S tuner you pull the whole DPF/DOC out with all the sensors still in it. If you ever had an issue with the truck you would have to reinstall the DPF before you took it to Ford. Really it only takes about an hour to swap the DPF in and out so it's not that bad. Now if you travel long distances with the truck you might want to reconsider. If it breaks down on you along ways from home and you have to take is to Ford then you'll be screwed.

With the extra fuel mileage you'll get from the DPF being removed the chip will pay itself off quick. Not to mention 6.4's are nasty with a tuner on them.
but, if you tune.......you do need to be involved in the operation of the truck,and learn about how it functions.....the reason i say this is because i tuned a "friends" truck for him... and he still has no clue as to what we did..... doesn't know what to call it.....refuses to learn anything about it..... so he calls me.......any time his truck farts.....
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I had 38K Miles on my 2010 and pulled the trigger it's a little scary at first but I could not be happier now. This even after my 2008 Bone Stock bit the dust twice at 24K miles with two HPFP failures and finally it cavitated "kapoww" roughly 3 1/2 months in shop out of the 1 year and 4 months I owned it. ford bought it back thats how ended up with 2010 for $2500 bucks lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by INJEKTER1 View Post
but, if you tune.......you do need to be involved in the operation of the truck,and learn about how it functions.....the reason i say this is because i tuned a "friends" truck for him... and he still has no clue as to what we did..... doesn't know what to call it.....refuses to learn anything about it..... so he calls me.......any time his truck farts.....

That's how I feel about a few buddies of mine!! I won't be helping anymore of them order all the correct parts and then be their free tuner/upgrader installer/mechanic.. I enjoy wrenching on what ever I can and don't mind helping out. But when they can't figure out how to change the display color LOL!!! Now Unless H&S wants put me on the payroll And include commish that might be a different story lol

Last edited by 6GunFighter; 11-16-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.