Put a deposit on a 08 F450 KR, now I have cold feet. Need Help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2011, 08:07 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Put a deposit on a 08 F450 KR, now I have cold feet. Need Help!

So I found a black 2008 f450 King Ranch with 100,000 miles on it that was within my budget at a used car dealership. This is to replace my 2004 F350 that has now accumulated 450,000 miles. My main reason for buying something newer is for reliablity as silly things were starting to go wrong with my F350. nothing big, just the small things you expect from a truck with 450k on it. (broke an output shaft, oil cooler, glow plug control module, rear end was on its way out in the last 6 months).

I am purchasing the new truck mainly so that I can have a more reliable unit. The 6.0 F350 was/is amazing once I did the ARP headstud, EGR delete, HG, etc. and pulled my race hauler all over Canada without incident.
I was under the impression that once I do the DPF delete on the 6.4 I would have a truck that was at least as reliable if not better.

After excitedly put my deposit down on Friday I read up on the 6.4 and am a little worried now - especially since this is the most money I have ever spent on a vehicle.
I read up on delete kits and I am seeing that a lot of people seem to be breaking pistons, etc because of these kits. Is this true? Does the DPF delete really only help fuel mileage and power at the expense of catastrophic faliure??

If thats the case I might just lose my $1000 deposit I put down and walk away from the truck instead of tying up the better part of my savings into a money pit.

I am getting a third party warranty with the truck that is good for 4 years and I got all the additional coverages thrown in, electrical, seals and gaskets, u-joints, power components, etc. I understand that many people have issues with aftermarket warranties, but my very trustworthy diesel mechanic (same guy that got my 6.0 to 450,000 miles) actually deals with them and that was what swayed me into buying used over new.

If you guys have suggestions on what I am supposed to do to bulletproof my 6.4 and help the terrible fuel mileage please let me know. I am supposed to pick up the truck on Wednesday and any info you guys can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by canada6.0; 11-13-2011 at 08:36 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2011, 10:40 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Buy it and if you don't like it, just sell it. Don't throw $1000 away. If you want to do that I will PM you my mailing address and you can send it to me.
LOL
Old 11-13-2011, 10:47 AM
I, 1, 2, 1/2, 6

I wouldn't be scared. Most catastrophic case I wouldn't attribute to simply doing the delete. Usually deletes and tuning go hand in hand and usually with tunes come rompin time. Id say you'd be safe buying it
Old 11-13-2011, 12:23 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get an OASIS report if you can from a dealership (a history of warantee work, you'll need the vin number), and a CarFax just to be safe.

Big things my dealer told me was the "Bridge Plate" warps (thick metal plate between the block and oil pan) you'll see moisture above the oil pan, at the gasket on the passenger side (was where mine let go).

Also they eat radiators. There is a plastic to metal joint from the main section of the radiator to the side panels. On the inside (engine side) of the driver's side of the radiator you will see corrosion (where the mechanic said they all fail), a sign it is time for a new radiator.

Mine has also gone through some rear wheel bearings. I bought it used, and I think it was a commercial 5th wheel puller, thus I am waiting to see if it eats more of them.

If you do a delete/tune beware, as the warantee people may not cover many engine issues as a result, sounds like your mechanic will work with you on that stuff though.

Good luck, you'll like the 450, especially the KR!
Old 11-13-2011, 04:04 PM

Wow thanks for the help guys, especially you Alphaeditor.
When I get the OASIS report what should I be looking for?

I actually did bring the truck into a Ford Dealership (Yonge Steeles Ford) on Saturday for them to have a look at it and I told them that I purchasing the car and wanted them to do a full pre-purchase inspection, and I wasn't really worried about what it cost me.
Their Diesel tech didn't even look at the truck, they got some greasy (ill explain later) ill tempered creatin to look at it.
I asked them after if they ran the scanner on it and were able to make sure that the everything was in order as that was something I specifically asked them for (something my mechanic does everytime I go in for an oil change). The service advisor was like .. uhhmmm yah I guess if they didn't do it it wasn't needed. Instead of being honest and saying the diesel tech didn't look at it and the guy who actually looked at it had no idea what he was doing.

I asked them for an OASIS report and the guy said he didn't know what that was. I told him it was a list of all the work done on the truck, and if there was any outstanding recalls. He looked at me like I had three heads.

The only thing they found was a minor oil leak coming from the front of the engine. But they were trying to sell me on a bunch of things I didn't need.

Annoyed I got in my truck and then realize that there are grease stains all over the tan plastic step, I open the dooor to find that "greasy creatin" put his greasy feet all over the light tan carpets, grease all over the steering wheel, adjusted the steering while and seats for a midget and managed to get grease all over the headliner as well.

I was pissed but decided that since the dealer I am buying from will do a full detail anyways and I just didn't want to deal with that abomination of a dealership anymore. I left and didn't say anything.

I will try another dealership in the morning and try and get the OASIS report.
I also asked them if the rust bubble that is forming behind one of the windows was covered under the 5 year unlimited mileage corrosion warranty and was told that it wasn't due to the trucks mileage. (??)
It hasn't gone through but the paint has flaked off and its about half the size of a dime.

I will check out the radiator ASAP, is there an upgraded one I can buy that eliminates the problem?
Is there any mods I can do to bulletproof the truck? I actually travel long distances through some pretty sketchy and desolate places at times carrying lots of really expensive race bikes/equipment. For me any money I spend on prevention is worth it.

Thanks for all your input guys.
Looks like I am going to buy the F450 based on your input!

Last edited by canada6.0; 11-13-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:09 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I love my F-450
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.