Check Engine Light Keeps Coming On - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Check Engine Light Keeps Coming On

I'm sure this question has been asked and answered a million times, but maybe you guys can save me a lot of digging for answers. Here's what's hapenening. I've had the truck exactly two weeks and the check engine light has come on 3 times. The first time it came on was two days after I bought the truck. I took it right back to the dealer who put it on the computer which indicated a DPF pressure sensor. He changed it, but the light came back on the next day. That was on a Sunday so I was going to go back to the dealer the next morning. However, when I went to start the truck the next morning, the light went off and stayed off until last night (two weeks). What I did next was probably stupid, but I wanted to try it and see what happened. I disconnected the batteries to clear the computer. I know this wipes out the codes, but the light did not come back on when I started the truck. I'm sure whatever is causing the light is still there and that it will come back on. I'm totally stock with all the emissions crap still in place, unfortunately, and I'm fairly sure that something in that system is the culprit. Since I've still got a significant amount of the factory warranty left, I'm hesitant to do any of the mods (dpf delete, etc) before it expires. Do you think I'm correct in assuming it's something in the emissions system that is causing the light? Again, I know I need to get rid of the DPF, etc, but I can't (won't) until the factory warranty expires. But on the other hand, I don't want to have to take up residence at the dealer, although I will if necessary. BTW, I checked the fuel cap and that's not it. So, any suggestions what I should try next?

Wayne

Last edited by cp2146; 11-11-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2011, 06:24 AM

Only thing you can really do is keep taking it back to ford every time the light comes on. Does the truck run fine when the light comes on? Could just be a glich in the computer its self. All this electrical crap that are on these trucks anymore
Old 11-11-2011, 06:36 AM

Yes, it runs fine when the light is on. One thing it did do last night was go into a regen cycle when the light was on. That's what makes me believe it has got to be something in the emissions system causing it. Oh, another interesting thing...after I disconnected the batteries (reset the computer), my mileage went up. I was getting between 14 and 15 in town, and this morning on the way to work I got a little over 18. Same route, same driving conditions, same driving habits, but definitely an increase in fuel mileage.

Wayne

Last edited by cp2146; 11-11-2011 at 06:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:45 AM

BTW, bentstroke, nice bird! I haven't been turkey hunting in a long, long time. I really need to go next season. The last one I saw in the woods was when I was sitting on a deer stand about 5 years ago. He landed in a tree about 20 yards from me. I was tempted, but with my luck, the game warden would have probably driven up about that time and nailed me for taking a bird out of season.

Wayne
Old 11-11-2011, 07:39 AM

I would say the best thing to do is take it straight to ford when it comes back on. I dont see why your mpg went up. I would for sure take it back and explain to them and make them fix it.

And thanks he is actually a young bird only a 8" beard. I have seen alot of turkey's this year while i deer hunt. Im about to go get a tag and start shooting turkey's
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 AM

You're right. Make them fix it while it's still under warranty. I'm sure that's where I'll end up.

Deer season starts tomorrow where I hunt (Arkansas), but I'm not going to be able to make camp this year. Too many projects at home, but I'll be there in spirit. Actually, I'll be in that area over Thanksgiving so I may slip off to the woods then.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 AM

Bow season here in Ks start mid sept. so i been going out as much as possible and hope ford can fix the problem
Old 11-11-2011, 09:05 AM

Yeah, I'm sure they can.

I know lots of guys who bow hunt and they keep trying to get me to do it. LOL. I can barely hit anything with a gun. I'd only end up shooting myself in the foot with a bow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.