Upfitter to Reverse Lights (HID) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 12:17 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Upfitter to Reverse Lights (HID)

Anyone try to hook up their reverse lights, not aftermarket, to the upfitter switches. I almost did this mod in my Tahoe but never got around to it before I traded it in . Some of the guys on the Tahoe forum also put in HIDs for the reverse lights, and again never got around to it, BUT I am doing the HIDs for the 250, and would like to do the upfitter to reverse light mod as well, so if anyone has any input on how to do this, that would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am also interested in this. Subscribed!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

anyone?

Old 11-20-2011, 01:28 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
It would be super easy to do. Just find the reverse wire in the rear harness, cut it, and connect it to one of the upfitter leads. My reverse lights are supplemented with a halogen driving light. It works great, and comes on with the revere lights.
Old 11-20-2011, 01:58 PM

Why would they do HID lights as reverse lights? For the amount of time that they are usually on when backing up, they won't have a chance for the ballast to fully spark the bulb at 100%. Metal halide lamps take time to get warm and have 100% output.

It would definitely be easy to do but the reverse lights in the taillights aren't all that bright. I'd recommend getting some additional lights and splice them into the harness so they come on when you're in reverse. I have two lightbars tied into an aux switch and another lightbar and two lights tied into the reverse harness.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:02 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Advantage View Post
Why would they do HID lights as reverse lights? For the amount of time that they are usually on when backing up, they won't have a chance for the ballast to fully spark the bulb at 100%. Metal halide lamps take time to get warm and have 100% output.

It would definitely be easy to do but the reverse lights in the taillights aren't all that bright. I'd recommend getting some additional lights and splice them into the harness so they come on when you're in reverse. I have two lightbars tied into an aux switch and another lightbar and two lights tied into the reverse harness.
I agree with everything you said. Adding HID lights to the stock housings is a terrible idea. The housings are so small that they would likely melt, and the reflectors aren't designed for that sort of output. It would look terrible.

As for adding auxiliary lights, that is exactly what I did. I screwed a single 3" driving light to the bottom of my 7 pin trailer connector. It is adjustable, and comes on with my reverse lights. Since I only used one light I just used the reverse light wiring to power it, but if you were concerned with overloading the OEM wiring you could always do a relay setup.

I see absolutely no reason to be able to switch on the OEM reverse lights. They are terrible, and nearly useless. Just run some nice new lights to your upfitter switch, and aim them behind you!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:19 PM
Once you go black......

Send a message via MSN to CanadianDiesel
IMO stock "reverse lights" are just a warning that you are reversing...and hardly serve as actual aid when you're backing up.
...Unless you get additional aftermarket lights. Don't put an HID in the tiny housing, you're asking for trouble...that's why they go in headlights, more room to dissipate all that heat.
Your money would be better spent on hidden HID projectors/spots at the back...
Old 11-20-2011, 02:27 PM

In my opinion, the best bang for your buck, for the brightest, most rugged, and least amount of power draw are Vision X's Solstice Solo LED lights. They are a 2" square light that produces 900 lumens of light through a 10 watt LED. They are available in several different optic patterns and cost about $120. Not a bad deal for an LED light in my opinion.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:23 PM

I hooked up four led back up lights on mine I put a relay on the switch by the lights to get full power but the thing is like daylight behind it!! I used the number two upfittier switch. But the number one has the biggest power wire of the four!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottbolt View Post
I hooked up four led back up lights on mine I put a relay on the switch by the lights to get full power but the thing is like daylight behind it!! I used the number two upfittier switch. But the number one has the biggest power wire of the four!
LEDs draw so little power that you don't need a high amperage switch for them. I run my 20" double stack Evo Prime lightbar that has 24 - 10 watt LEDs off of my #2 switch. I used to use my #1 to power a transfer tank pump but I got rid of the tank and now, it powers two 8" LED lightbars.

Which LEDS are you running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.