Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Brake Upgrade?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  CT Performance, Inc. 
#1 ·
Has anyone done a brake upgrade like a big brake kit? I talked to a rep at SSBC, and he said that they have 6 piston calipers for the front with upgraded pads and oem size rotors, says they greatly improve braking power. They have a big brake kit coming out in April, I always thought the big brake kits were better for stopping, but this guy was saying that it is mainly just for looks.

James.

#5 ·
Do you sell those rotors and pads?

#3 ·
There was an article recently in Diesel World where they did an SSBC Big Brake upgrade in the "Tech" section of the magazine. Looks like a very straightforward swap. Was in October's issue and on an '02 Super Duty. They look pretty sweet but they didn't do a before and after for stopping distances so who knows what the distances were before and after the upgrade. I seem to recall that Ford had the best out of the Big 3 when it came to stopping distance with the OEM brakes.

#4 ·
you are correct in that, Ford did win the best stopping distance, I think the latest diesel power did one with the big three, unfortunately they gave the win to the sierra.

James.

#6 ·
PERFORMANCE DRILLED & SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS
I have some of these rotors on my Porsche..... they take heat very well, and dont fade like my stock rotors did with race pads...
I will be getting these for my truck when I need brakes....

#7 ·
Speaking of this what is more important rotor thickness or overall size. The only reason I'm asking is my F350's rotors are much smaller then the rotors on my SRT-8 Charger but twice the thickness. I would trust the brakes on my Superduty to stop a load over the ones on the Charger. I know the Charger weighs half as much but if the same setup was on two identical vehicles I would still take the one's on my Superduty.:ford:

#8 ·
I did a PowerSlot big brake kit on a GMC Denali that I previously had. The kit was less than $500. The OEM Rotors were 11" and the kit upgraded to 14" Rotors. You have to have at least a 20" wheel to use the over sized rotor. It used longer mounting brackets to relocate and retain the factory calipers. I bought a new set of OEM Brake Pads. So the only difference really was the Rotor Diameter. The kit was very simple to install and made an incredible difference, I would estimate it decreased my stopping distance by 40%. I also got over 140,000 mi on the brake pads. The larger diameter rotors increase the mechanical advantage (torque) that the brakes have. This is the same principal that made the braking worse with larger tires.

This was a Great Kit very effective, simple, and affordable. I really wish they made one for our trucks. If anyone has a contact at PowerSlot, please let them know the need of a brake upgrade kit for our trucks. The rest of us should call and request a kit for our trucks to show them that the demand is there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.