lookin for advice on 6.4 and duallies - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
lookin for advice on 6.4 and duallies

Right now I have a 07 f250 6.0 with all the mods listed in my sig. I love my truck itself but Im ready to move on to something else thats able to tow more and easier to work out of. Looking at 08-10 f350 duallies. Im alil nervous since the 6.0 had so many problems its got me gun shy. Ive looked at dodges but the truck just doesn't compare. So would all ya'll say your happy with ur 6.4s? Im tired of having to sink alot of money into something to make it reliable from the factory. I will of course do a tuner and dpf delete for fuel mileage not to worried about hp but its always nice. Also for the ones that have gone from a srw to a drw do you regret it or was it worth it? It will become my dd and to pull my fifth wheel and tractor but someday pull heavier objects just startin to plan more for the future you could say. Any input ya'll could give is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I bought a '08 F450 CC 4x4 in July, no regrets. I went with the F450 since they run about the same price range as the F350. Thing is a beast, pulling a 40ft goose neck with gross weight almost 38K pds loaded. Next mod is the dpf delete, so far its been great.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:52 PM

I've looked at a few F450's they are a beast of a truck. Did you have to have a certain type of insurance since they are capable of so much?
Old 11-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my only issue w/ the 450+ is the deep rear gear ratios. poor fuel mileage
Old 11-07-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverStroker07 View Post
I've looked at a few F450's they are a beast of a truck. Did you have to have a certain type of insurance since they are capable of so much?
Insurance isn't that much different, but my Virginia taxes are. F450 and above requires permanent tags. I also no longer qualify for property tax relief so I have to pay full tax(which luckily isn't but $800 for this year). Registration also was a chore because I had to register it for the specific weight I'd be hauling(not towing). Worst right now is finding a nice snow tire for the 19.5 rims.
I also understand the 450's and up had detuned engines for some reason. I know for fact that my 08 was detuned some 25 horsepower for reasons I don't understand. I'd be ecstatic if I could get a quick tune to put my motor to proper full power to feel the difference.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:34 PM

I have a 2008 F-350 Lariat 4x4 I bought in July. The nicest truck by far I've ever owned...has 4.30 gears, fully loaded with dvd, nav, sirius, leather, power everything. Deleted it and tuned it...what a world of difference. And about to throw some 315s on it and be even happier!!
Old 11-07-2011, 04:46 PM

I love my dually! switched to duals in '05 & haven't regretted it! I'm deleted with Spartan & pull a 35' WW toy hauler!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:02 AM

Thats my only concern with a 450 is the fuel mileage. Mainly on the highway in town I don't figure be that much different. I haven't checked with license and all for it here in Missouri so don't know what I may get into. Ive got my eye on a couple 09 F350 lariats just gotta sell mine before I buy. The only plus I can tell besides the look is stability with a dually, I haven't seen where they can really tow any more than a single wheel. Am I correct or just haven't found the right write up? Squirly how do you like the spartan tuner? Also did you just put the delete pipe in or a whole exhaust? Im leaning towards Spartan when I get a 6.4 just cuz they have been around so long for them and gotta be doin something right.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 AM

I love my Spartan, tuned it @ 11k should have done it @ 1!!! I did just the delete pipe, still running the factory twin tip tail, I like to look stock! With a dually you can legally pull more due to the 2 extra tire, I.E. tire ratings!
Old 11-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I do have my 450 on my commercial policy since I use it for work and need the required 1Mil liability. The dealer did say that I got a commercial vehicle loan due to weight rating, the interest rate was higher but I coulda just got bent over in a stealership lie. The tags here in Cali are $600 paying for 15K gross weight, I finally got my tags and will go bite the bullet and raise the weight to 36K. From other posts here, the fuel mileage isn't much different it gets around 10mpg loaded or empty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.